PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
As most of you already I am new to this whole pipe world - about 40 days now. I have been buying small amounts of blends from the counter jars and keeping them in the bags I brought them home in. I typically roll the bags tight to keep the air out; but now I am wondering if I am completely wrong?
I have a trend of moisture issues; could this be tied to the bag storage? Should I put them in jars to help them dry out?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Jars with good lids are a great way to store tobacco. Bags tend to be at least semi-permeable which allows air to get in and out drying out your tobacco. Jars will not dry out tobacco, they actually hold the tobacco at the humidity it was when sealed in the jar. Small canning jars are what I use and you can get them at Walmart, big box store or even hardware stores.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
It appears that some of my tobacco are more wet than when I brought them home. Not Levi Garrett wet but still pretty damp. Maybe by rolling the bags tight I am expressing moisture to the outside and making it feel more wet than it is.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Forget the bags. They are fine for shipping but other than that they are useless for holding moisture as they are air permeable. Kerr or Bell jars ONLY.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I use jars. Unless I plan on smoking a blend in a week or so I always store my tobacco in mason jars. This way it stays fresher, and doesn't force me to hurry up and smoke a blend before it dries out. If you plan on finishing your blend fairly quickly, the bag will work. But I can't even tell you how many times I have purchased blends from my local B&M and left them in the bag and totally forgot about them because I had so many different blends open. You can re hydrate if needed, but its never the same in my opinion. Good luck

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Where do you live? Does where you keep your tobacco have forced air heating? Do you have access to a relative humidity meter?
Thick plastic bags inside another thick one are fine for several months' storage but any longer I'd jar them up. The ones that many tobacco stores and online vendors use are almost worthless.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
$4.37 at Wal-Mart, $4.59 at Target.
Jars keep tobacco best. The bags are great if you smoke one thing constantly and keep it on your person or in a car and go through it within a week.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
I agree jars are great for tobacco storage. I have the regular sized and many pint jars. I take tobacco from the large jar and fill a pint. This cuts down how often I open the large jars. I tend to buy in bulk and Mason jars are the answer for me!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks guys, I will pick up some jars, I like the crystal cut jelly jars. I have seen them in 8 and 4 ounce sizes - 2 ounce would be a good size for me as I get samples in that amount.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks guys, I will pick up some jars, I like the crystal cut jelly jars. I have seen them in 8 and 4 ounce sizes - 2 ounce would be a good size for me as I get samples in that amount.
Don't forget that tobacco is sold by weight and jars measured in volume. It seems a four ounce jar holds most 2 oz tins pretty well.

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
This maybe slightly off topic-ish but I store smaller amounts in proper sized jars but my question is, if I have a unopened 2oz tin that I am not going to smoke for sometime (say 9+ months) is it better to leave it tinned or should I jar it up tightly?

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
This maybe slightly off topic-ish but I store smaller amounts in proper sized jars but my question is, if I have a unopened 2oz tin that I am not going to smoke for sometime (say 9+ months) is it better to leave it tinned or should I jar it up tightly?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
As jpmcwjr pointed out; leave it in the tin. If you don't have any plans on smoking it for that amount of time most definitely leave it unopened. When you do decide to open the tin then, and only then place the rest in a jar unless you plan on smoking it relatively fast.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
So I bought 8 jars to have some extras; and realized when I filled the last 1 that I needed at least 1 more. I had no idea...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
You would be surprised at just how much tobacco you can get into a jar. Pack it down TIGHTLY (a small amount at a time) with the bottom of a small glass, or some such object. After all, look just how tightly the tobacco is pressed into such a small tin.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I just picked up 2 jars at Wally World for $2.87 each in the Christmas isle. Most have snowflakes, deer or Santa on them but I found several in the back that were plain. I added 4 oz. of Lane 1Q and the jar could hold 8 oz. most likely. I feel better knowing it will stay fresh in the jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.