PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
As most know by now, McClelland changed the name of Blue Mountain to Balkan Blue. Well a few days back I was browsing Ebay and noticed a "Collectors Item" tin of McClelland Blue Mountain at $20.00. Granted it was an older tin as well, dated 2011. Now I love Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue and I have a few tins left of the original name. Of course I bought them to smoke, not to collect and sell later. But I can't help but wonder if these tins might increase in demand... at least for those who love Blue Mountain as much as I do. My tins don't have much age to them, dated 2013, so holding onto them and just purchasing the newly labeled Balkan Blue is no problem at all. There shouldn't be too much of a difference in the tobacco. So what should I do? What would you do? Hold on to them to possibly sell later? Or crack those babies open and smoke that stuff?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
OK, I hear what your saying. On one hand you have to think that a couple of tins really don't take up much room so holding them should pose no problem. If in a couple of years someone decides that the older tin art unopened is valuable then you're good to go. I agree that it's just a label change but people are nuts so you may benefit for future frenzy. The only cost you incur is replacing the tins with new ones. Not such a bad thing and if nothing happens in the marketplace in 5 years you have some aged tins that could still have higher value than at present.

On the other hand, I buy stuff to smoke.

Of course I have to wonder if some devious person will remove the old labels and stick them on new tins. I don't know if they have date signatures on them or not.

Nevertheless, a fun quandary.

Jan 8, 2013
McClelland does indeed date their tins. So anything after a certain batch number in this year would likely have the new labels.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I actually keep all of my old tins. I either use them for projects down the road or just hang on to them to pass down to my future generation. I figure tobacco tins will always be a collector type thing and the older the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.