PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
Just unboxed a Peterson Dracula Rusticated Pot and it is a striking pipe but there seems to be an excessive space between the mortise and tenon (see photos).

Is this typical of Peterson pipes? Should I return this pipe?
pipe%202.jpg

pipe%201.jpg

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
If you have smoked it and not experienced any gurgle or other behavioral unpleasantness then I recommend just keeping it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
A deep mortise is not uncommon in Petersons, or any factory pipes for that matter. Perfectly fitting tenon to mortice is a time consuming step that most factory pipes don't do. Shouldn't hurt the pipe or the smoke, might just mean a bit more moisture and one more step in the cleaning process.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I find a lot of low to mid range pipes, especially filtered pipes have this issue. Personally I do not notice a difference in smoking, once properly broken in, but they will require separation of the shank and stem to be throughly cleaned.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
No, I haven't smoked it. I would prefer if I was going to return the pipe, it was unsmoked. That's why I posted here, to get the opinion of those with more familiarity with Peterson pipes.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
It depends on your outlook. A positive outlook would look at it as having a mini reverse calabash effect, cooling the smoke more than if the gap wasn't there. The negative outlook would be that the gap will cause excessive tar build-up in the shank creating more maintenance down the road. Neither outlook is wrong, it just comes down to which means more to you.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
All my Petersons look like this. All my factory pipes with the exception of Ser Jacopo have the same gap.
Just smoke it mate. You are not going to get one from Peterson without it I am willing to wager. It will be fine.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
Thanks for the input guys, I'll start to break in process this weekend.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I just checked my Peterson Dracula and found that mine is the exact same way. I sure am glad that I didn't know about it sooner as this has turned out to be an excellent smoker and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I would say keep it as long as it's not going to keep you up at night second guessing.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I always assumed there would be space between tenon and mortise. Just as long as a pipe cleaner goes through, you shouldn't have any problems. I've never experienced any with a Peterson, Dracula or otherwise: the Irish Harp 701 is among my favorite pipes and I'll probably have to get another one--it's hard to keep my hands off it to let it rest.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
No you shouldn't it is totally normal for peterson pipes. Here is a trick if it gurgles alittle. Cut a pipe clean about 3/4 of a inch and wrap it in a circle, push it in there and gurgle stops, kinda acts as a filter.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I have a Dracula and it is the same. It is not a great smoker but I don't notice and gurgle from the gap.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm actually puffing on my Dracula 03 right now. I've never really paid much attention if there's a gap between the mortise and the tenon. When I clean it tonight I'll definitely give it a look. Mine's smoked wonderfully though. No problems with gurgle or anything.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
If Peterson thought this was a problem they could easily remedy it by adjusting the depth stop on the tool that cuts this. The fact that the deep mortice is present on all their pipes leads me to believe that they may think this gap is beneficial to smoking. Maybe they think of it as a mini-System.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I've gotten a few Peterson's over the past couple of weeks and have come to the conclusion that all the briars are cut to fit a filter and the only difference between a filtered Peterson and a non-filtered Peterson is the stem. That certainly lessens their headache from a manufacturing standpoint.
I hope you're enjoying your Peterson! I do like all of mine.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A deep mortise is not uncommon in Petersons, or any factory pipes for that matter. Perfectly fitting tenon to mortice is a time consuming step that most factory pipes don't do. Shouldn't hurt the pipe or the smoke, might just mean a bit more moisture and one more step in the cleaning process.
I agree completely.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My Petersons all show that gap. It hasn't been a problem other than requiring a little extra effort during cleaning. I'm not sure you'll be able to resolve it unless you give up on Peterson pipes. The issue is not peculiar to Peterson. I have a number of pipes that have the same gap. It does however cause a build up of residue in the gap that needs to be cleaned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.