Should I Return My Newly Purchased Peterson Spigot?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlytamped

Lurker
Aug 20, 2017
Hungary
So I just purchased a new Peterson Champagne Silver Spigot, shape 999.

I noticed that the mouthpiece "is a bit off". It's like it's leaning to one side.

Not sure if this is a poor quality model that I got from the online seller or this is actually a common thing.
Do you guys have any spigots and if so, did you encounter anything similar?

Maybe I just worry too much...
Here's a picture:

T9WlBQ8.png

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I have owned two bent Petes in my time, a 68 silver spigot and a system 312. Both pipes had stems with a slight twist to them, tho not quite as noticeable as yours.
I kept mine for a few years but, wouldn't hesitate to send one back if it didn't appeal to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since you posted and made a video, it clearly is on your mind. I'd return it if I were feeling that way, but a perfect stem won't make it smoke any better.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I have two Peterson Spigots, one with filter and one without. I have to take a closer look at them.

However, I have never used my eye to check the straightness of guitar fingerboard to check the mouthpiece of a pipe, especially when the junction is not designed to be flushed and inline.
I still remember the first time I came across anything Peterson was at J.T. Peretti, when I asked for a straighter stem on a J.T. Peretti pipe. The tobacconist just casually lit up an alcohol flame and bent a Peterson acrylic stem to a straighter form in front of me. I thought, "Ah, I can also do that at home...".

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I returned a Newgrange 999 a few months ago. Stem was off center quite a bit and for the money I paid for it, wasn't happy with it.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
As I have implied, and many others also pointed out that the issue is minor (or is there a problem at all?). Having that said, it is totally fine to return an unsmoked pipe in its original condition to the seller if they take return.
Life is too short to own a pipe that one is not 100% happy about.

Therefore getting unwarranted estate pipes from auction sites and from classified sites are gambles of buying troubles versus acquiring treasures. I once bought an estate carved meerschaum that was beautiful on one side and the seller just asked me to treat him when I asked for more info, and it ended up chipped in many places on the other side. So, as long as you have your rights, you are free to use it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome to the forum! I can't really see an issue with it, from the video or pix. But from personal experience, if something bothers me about a pipe, I'm not likely to forget about the issue.
My mother was born in Sopron, so it's great to see a Hungarian forum member.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Gently Tamped:Hi and Welcome to forum, well this seems be a common thing with lots of Petersons,just got me and my fried two Petersons 999 from their Waterford line,both them acrylic stems had this like twist which I eventually managed to fix up with my heat gun.Further on,then in the past I have had similar model(999) but from factory Aran line,which similarly had misaligned stem with a slight bulge.Can't help wondering if it so difficult to make these 999 with properly curved and shaped stems.In my opinion a Pipe costing more than $ 100 should come with flawless and properly made stems.Moreover,you may wanna directly get in touch with Peterson factory sales representatives and report the issue,I'am pretty convinced they will consider taking your pipe back to get this straighten out.Glenn@Peterson.Ie. As a side note,any repairs performed at factory will definitely take some time. Best Greets, Paul

gentlytamped

Lurker
Aug 20, 2017
Hungary
Hey guys! Thanks for all the responses, I contacted the seller in Ireland and they were kind enough to take it back and have it fixed with Peterson. Could take 2-3 weeks that I can get it back but it will be aligned perfectly. As some of you pointed out it may not be a big deal but at the spigot range level I expect it to be perfect.
Hey Paul! Thanks and good to see you here as well! :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since pipes tend to be life-long possessions, I think the extra time spent waiting for this to be made right is well worth it. Many would have chalked it up to a little asymmetry, a part of the pipe's personality, but you didn't like it. Now, you'll feel good every time you smoke it knowing it is the way you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.