PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I was thinking of ordering some Jacknife plug and was wondering if there were any opinions of it good or bad.

If you have been smoking it let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Lawson

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If the question is EVER, "Should I purchase ?" The answer is always yes. I've yet to try a GLP that wasn't really good. Sure some weren't something I would want to cellar, but they were all well-executed blends.
-Jason

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The nic makes you go slowly, the burn allows it, and the flavor makes you allow it to sneak up on you, so, yeah, order some and enjoy it because it's top shelf. I cut mine cross grain about 1/8" thick...then I've done an assortment of preps..all worked wonderfully..but I've had that nic hit at the back of my tongue and I think I've come close to a very negative experience...but not quite. =D

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
The nic makes you go slowly, the burn allows it, and the flavor makes you allow it to sneak up on you, so, yeah, order some and enjoy it

+1 newbroom
We tried some over on the Pax virtual tobacco crawl thread, and for me it was the revelation of the month. Can't stop smoking it, and placed an order for more. It has practically knocked all other dark-fired Kentucky blends out of rotation for me. Make that practically all other blends, with the exception of a straight VA now and then to cleanse the palate. :lol:

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the insight on this one. It sounds like something I would like.

I will be placing an order for some in a couple of days.

-Lawson

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
To offer a dissenting opinion, it was my least favorite of the month. I don't care for plugs, first off. Second, while I enjoyed some of the flavors it had, I just didn't find it to be something I would want to smoke a whole bowl of or that I would want to smoke regularly.
It just wasn't my thing. I'd rather stick to loose flake or full flake VAs. No more plugs for me, the prep is too laborious.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
My take on these sorts of questions is if it interests you for some reason, then go for it. It is the only way to explore and find out if you like it. What is glorious to someone else might be terrible to you, and vice-versa.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I like the stuff apart the general inability to cut the plug up. If mixed with Twist/Tambo or my usual 'sh*t' to quote Peck its quite interesting. Its very slow burning and if you don't like it you can always chew it. I am not joshing here, it makes for a very satisfying chew and if you dry it out afterwards it smokes quite well in a pipe giving you a two for one bang for buck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard mostly good reports on Jackknife. It's a different blend, but I really liked Triple Play, which is

also a plug.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
No more plugs for me, the prep is too laborious.
I'll agree on that aspect of it. Just too much of a pain in the ass preparation seeing that there are a plethora of other great tobaccos that don't call for it. While slicing and dicing a plug I sometimes wonder if I'm about to smoke a pipe or if I'm working on a home repair project! lol

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Yes order but make sure that you don't make your judgment on the first couple of bowls. It is strong and takes some getting used to but after you get over the initial strength you'll notice a wonderful flavor. I was not the biggest fan after the first bowl but the more I smoked it the more I liked it and now it is one of my favorites.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There is also JK ready rubbed for anyone who doesn't want to deal with the plug.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
Yes, order it, but I also prefer the ready rubbed version. For me it doesn't need any drying time either. Ready to go right out of the tin.

mjzupon

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
I've been loving jackknife plug.

I like the prep when I'm at home. It's kind of a nice ritual before the smoke for me.

I slice it real thin and rub out into a shag cut.

Pack it up and enjoy.

Might have to pick up some of the ready rubbed version to throw in my pouch when I'm out and about though,
Matt

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I like the ritual (seems almost cultish sometimes referring to it as such) of picking a pipe, something to smoke ... but I'm just fine in the simple ritual of pulling some ribbon cut, loose flake or rubbing out a full flake to needing to chop up small blocks of pressed tobacco. I draw the line there. That and I've yet to truly enjoy a plug tobacco. I'll stick to my jars and tins of loose or flake.
+1 Phil

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My 'progression' into pipe tobaccos has brought me from ohm roll your own cig tobacco, to Walgreen's brand non aro blend, then some SWR and Captain Black. I knew I was 'on' to something with the SWR.
I then procured PSLBE and PS Peaches&Creme. The aro was ok, the LBE better. I got some Escudo and JKP. Both are tasty. Escudo is divine. JKP kicks like a mule but smokes so smoothly it sneaks up on you. I began to search for something strong, tasty and esthetically pleasing, and less expensive. (tin/bag note)
Reading from site reviews all over the interwebs, I decided upon McClelland's 2015. I just have to say that the 'bag' note from this stuff is enough to make you reach for something else. It's horrid. The smoke is fine and the smell diminishes with drying and once lit, but, I love the smell of tobaccos...not so much the STRONG smell of ketchup.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Don't forget there is also Jackknife Ready Rubbed, which tales all the labor out of preparing it. A lot of guys seem to be put off by the effort required, and JRR is easy to load and smoke. I can't tell a difference between the two, flavor wise, although there are some who disagree with me.

It is a fantastic blend if you like burley/VA mixtures, maybe even the best example made by an American company. As others have said, though, be wary of the nicotine. I have a high tolerance so it's like manna from heaven to me, but it's way too potent for many guys.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Don't forget there is also Jackknife Ready Rubbed, which tales all the labor out of preparing it. A lot of guys seem to be put off by the effort required, and JRR is easy to load and smoke. I can't tell a difference between the two, flavor wise, although there are some who disagree with me.

It is a fantastic blend if you like burley/VA mixtures, maybe even the best example made by an American company. As others have said, though, be wary of the nicotine. I have a high tolerance so it's like manna from heaven to me, but it's way too potent for many guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.