Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Should I know anything about buying a Bulldog?

(44 posts)
  1. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A nice Bulldog (straight) is on my hotlist - I have been wanting one for a while now. Under $150 would be nice... anyone have a favorite they'd brag about? Is there anything I should know about buying a bulldog?

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The English varieties are frequently flatulent.

Seriously, though, check for wall thickness toward the heel of the bowl. This shape is particularly prone to heat damage and burnout in the lower half of the bowl.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They tend to have short lifespans, from thin walls and inbreeding.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd start with a bulldog with bead lines, the little grooves around the bowl. There are some beautiful dogs without bead lines, but it takes more artistry to give them a real 'dog presence. Savenelli, Johs, Stanwell, and Big Ben do some good versions, but I'd shop widely until you find one that's exactly to your taste. Stick with well-known reputable brands. Consider estate pipes, though for $100 to $150, I believe you could get a fine new pipe if you shop widely and selectively. I'd take your time. It's easy to fall in love on your first outing, but I think you'll be better satisfied if you take some time and revisit your favorites over several weeks. For a first 'dog, I'd go smooth, as well as with the bead lines. I really like my Stanwell 32, but it is a small pipe, and first a first 'dog, I'd like my Johs better. But by all means look around. For estates, I'd stick with our mainline sponsors, to get something that is what it says it is, that you will thoroughly enjoy. People love their bulldogs, so try to start right.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jparker

Login to Send PM

6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 62 bulldogs, and not a bad dog in the bunch, from Danish to Italian to American, big bowls to small bowls, squats to talls, bents to straight, saddles to tapers, cheap to expencive. I don't think you'll go wrong no matter what dog you get.
    Welcome to the bulldog club. I am crazy about my herd.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

8. shawnofthedead

Shawn

Login to Send PM

I agree with buroak, bulldogs tend to have a really thin wall towards the base due to its diamond-shaped shank. Rhodesians don't tend to have this issue because they have round shank.

Life would go on as it had always gone on - that is, badly.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have over two dozen bulldogs and not problem with any. Mainly Dr. Grabows and Peterson. The Pete's are my favorites. There are many bulldogs on SPC for less than $100.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't found that the walls get thin, even on my cheapest bullie. Most have cone shaped bowls like a Dublins. But, as with all shapes the heel will get warm.
    What brands have thin walls. I'd love to know.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. shawnofthedead

Shawn

Login to Send PM

My Peterson sandblast spigot bulldog for example, has really thin walls at the bottom half of the bowl, and that part gets hot far too easily.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My Tsuge 426 bulldog has a cylindrical bowl, and no thin spots that I can see.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Ferndown, Bark Bulldog, btm right would get extremely hot even slow puffing. I loaded some fireplace mortar repair and did a coating on both sides sweeping thinner going upwards. That did the trick.not enough meat in the V downward part on some of em.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like English bulldogs the best, sweet and loving. But bulldogs are stubborn animals, take longer to train then some of the other breeds!

John
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson will give you absolutely classic bulldog shapes (straight and curved) well within your price point.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Stanwell shape 191 is a good one, but I believe it only comes quarter bent. Some good Petes are also quarter bent. But if you like straight bulldogs, go for that -- there are plenty available. 'Looks like BC makes a bistro bulldog, shown at iwanries.com for only $57, but that may be a little too down market for you. You could get that and some other 'dog, and still come in at your $150. Lots of options here.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Stanwell shape 32 is a nice version, as is the Wessex shape 601. I own two 32's and one 601; all three are good quality pipes, each cost less than $100 brand new.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My advice would be stay away from the bent bulldogs with tapered stems around group 5 size. Dont want you interfering with me trying to aquire my collection LOL. The bulldog is my favorite shape.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dogs are great pipes. I love their looks. Whether in Meer or Briar they smoke cool for me.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got one bulldog. A Tsuge bent bulldog. Great smoking pipe.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like sharp edges on a pipe.I hold my thumb around the back of the bowl when I smoke so the shape of the shank of a bulldog bothers me.This probably isn't an issue to most but it keeps me away from this shape.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. redpanda

redpanda

Login to Send PM

I think there are two kinds of Bulldogs: The ones with the wide and shallow chamber, and the ones with the more traditional chamber. If you are going to smoke Englishes or Balkans in it, my humble advice is to get the shallower chamber. They seem to work better with those blends for some reason and the smoke does not get so bitter near the bottom, because they are not so deep I guess.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, let us know when you finally find your first bulldog. You might want to look at pipesandcigars.com Big Ben bulldog with free shipping. I'd shop far and wide and learn a lot.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. shroedingerscat

shroedingerscat

Login to Send PM

You should make sure it's had all of it's shots......

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By far my favorite shape but I prefer the 1/4 bent. My favorites are Savinelli, Brebbia, and my commissioned Tinsky and Layton.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

British, French, American, just buy one. Maybe two? I have a Butz Chocum bulldog I picked up brand new and a few estates also. Each and everyone is a great smoker.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

just buy one. Maybe two?

Why didn't someone tell me this when I started?

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Sav 673 shape is a good bulldog. It's quarter bent, but not much, and has bead lines. It has a sort of Peterson look for a Sav, and an ample bowl. The Opera version I was gifted has a solid feel but isn't heavy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a number of them and love the type. To me they are truly a tailored looking pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it barks it might bite.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's a Sav, no bead line(s), but a handsome pipe:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=166561

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

The bull dog is the most represented shape in my collection.
    There isn't a bad smoker in the bunch. My preference is for the squat style, but as far as shape I don't think you could go wrong.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. dutch65

dutch65

Login to Send PM

A Red Nose is a good choice. Clip the ears if you must, but leave the tail. They need it to keep a proper balance.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here you go, smooth bulldog with bead line, reputable brand, good discount:

http://www.iwanries.com/Savinelli-Laguna-Smooth-504-P14776C2187.cfm

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had some good luck on eBay but I'm picky about what I bid on. I never spend much unless I can see the pipe in person. The top one is the Butz Chocum I got at a local shop for $50 brand new. The bottom one is a Bond Street I got on eBay for $9!

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lasttango, I know I'm the one who advised you to shop a lot and take your time ... still do. But let us know what you finally do! Be interesting to know.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Prior to purchasing a Bulldog, I recommend having a firm grasp on the laws of gravity and thermodynamics.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am nuts about Bulldogs! One thing that I find strange is the near absence of the Bullcap or Haiti shape. Last night I was lucky in finding one but it is only my second pipe in this particular shape. Are they out of fashion?

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 3 years ago #
  39. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still taking my time... so far my favorites include some ligne bretagnes, rattrays and comoys...

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lasttango, good for you. Be sure to get the filter or no-filter arrangement you want. Best is if you can get the pipe designed for smoking the way you'll smoke it, but adapters can be entirely satisfactory too. I'm lining up my Johs straight saddle stem bulldog for a smoke while I vicariously shop for yours. Ha! Also my Stanwell shape 32 bulldog, my Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, and my Peterson Around the World bulldog in honor of Ireland. Four, I think that's it, two bent, two straight. Love them dogs.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I did get my bulldog... I decided to get another Boswell... I like my other Boswell so much, I had to have another. It's not the most traditional looking Bulldog, but it fits the bill and I know I'll like it. Thanks for all the advice on Bulldog pipes and dogs! We'll be getting another dog in a year or two or three... likely not a bulldog...

For my next pipe, sometime between this second and next Thanksgiving.... I am in the market for a longer shanked straight billiard... dark, deep black sandblast... dunhill makes some pretty ones, but I am probably in the market for a more affordable one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. fearsclave

fearsclave

Login to Send PM

Make sure that it's not cursed, haunted or possessed. They're a pain to exorcise.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lasttango, Congratulations on your new Boswell bulldog. They can get to be a bad habit in terms of PAD. I think you'll really enjoy this one.

Johs does nice blast billiards, good prices and fine smokers. I think he gets especially light weight briar, good stuff.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's an example of a Johs blast:
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/johs/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=187083

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, greeneyes, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, alaskanpiper, condorlover1, tkcolo, jpmcwjr