Should I keep the same pattern for pipe dedication?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Well I now have a decent amount of pipes. I have 4 unamoked and trying to decide what to dedicate them to. Thus far my bent bulldogs have been dedicated to English or lat blends and my one bent billiard to VA and VA per. Unamoked I have 3 bent billiards and 1 bent bulldog. So the question is . should I keep this pattern, or mix it up a bit? Do I keep my 4 bent billiards VA and VA per, 5 bent bulldogs lat blends, and falcon for aros?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Lovely. You might need a Burley pipe, and it helps to have one dedicated to Royal Yacht...

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I don't smoke burley for the most part. It tastes like dirt to me. Closest I have is Grey Havens, and it is still sealed.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I have tried ancouple, but for the most part no. When I tried a few and I got the dirt flavor I started to steer away from them. Now this was back in 2007 and not revisited them. Maybe if I can find some samples I might try it again.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would dedicate every pipe to Va and Vapers and screw English altogether. If you want to try a Vabur, I would recommend Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and Solani Silver Flake. Neither one will give you that dirt flavor as I am also not a fan of that.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Unless you have some deeply ingrained mental association between pipe shape and blend type that you just can't shake, I'm with hawky. Variety is the spice of life, and all that. Gives you more options.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tarheel illustrates the point, that burley isn't for everybody. I feel sure this is genetic, the way some people recoil at certain foods. Some find lamb revolting (I like it a lot) and some love beef and chicken liver (I like neither). Some people can't taste burley, and others find it unpleasant, and others like deathmetal and I like it very much. But we're not tasting the same things as people who don't taste burley or don't like it. Back to the subject, I don't find the need to designate pipes. If I'm getting Lat when I smoke Va or Va/Per, and other blends, it doesn't come up in a bad way. But if you're getting an unpleasant mix, definitely designate pipes. Good flavor is essential. tarheel, those are magnificent Ferndowns.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I let the pipe tell me. Sometimes that takes longer than others. Since I am primarily a Va, VaPer kinda guy I start with 3 different Va's. The 2 Different Lat blends, then 3 different VaPers.
I usually know after that but sometimes a pipe will fool me. I have an Eltang Cutty that was one of my Lat pipes for a while and it was fine. Last week I used it with St.James Woods and an old tin of Fillmore...It is now a VaPer pipe.
But I think it is one of those rare, in my experience, pipes that can go either way.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Tarheel1 sez:

I don't smoke burley for the most part. It tastes like dirt to me.
As an English-Lat guy mostly, I treat full-burleys like I would an aromatic.
When I'm looking for a change of pace (or have no idea what I want next), I might reach for an aromatic like Grousemoor or an ancient burley blend like LJPeretti's Cuban Mixture. It then comes as a surprise, in a good way... mostly.
Think of it that way.

=====
But, that burley doesn't by necessity demand a pipe-dedication like the ghostly Grousemoor or Condor. Although, I'm hearing from this thread, I might want to set aside a stem for my LJP Cuban?!

Status
Not open for further replies.