PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2015
Hello so I'm completely new to the pipe world. I do enjoy collecting custom and unique glass pieces. I recently discovered what a meerschaum pipe was and some features I've read about. I am hoping you can shed some light on a particular piece I'm thinking of buying. As soon as I figure out how to upload the pics I will. lol. The pipe does bear the signature or Mark of "Kazim". And I haven't found any info online for the name. The price is 100$ any tips on fakes vs block or pressed. What should I look for if I'm wanting a quality meerschaum?

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Welcome to the forums, great to have you. Where are you looking at the meer at?
Gigger mentioned some great sources, ebay be careful there, your local B&M I think you will be ok. Pressed meershaum from what I read is costly compared to using blocks, not sure how true that is.
If it is a reputable seller online, then you should be good. If you are buying from ebay look at how long they been selling, and their reviews. Your local B&M would be a great place to buy from, it may cost a bit more but you will get to hold what you are looking at before you buy.
I bought a meerschaum recently only to notice a odd looking spot on the bottom that could have been a crack. I returned it and looked the next one over before leaving the store. Store doesn't have really bright lights, so I got out only to notice a hairline fracture on the top of the bowl. I ended up taking it back and getting the very first one I looked at before deciding on the others. That doesn't happen often, I never noticed that many defects on a meer I was looking at.
Good luck and hope you get what you are looking for.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah that's a turkish meershaum, according to good sources pressed meershaum isn't used anymore except for the linings of calabash pipes. I'm pretty sure I found the pipe your referring to, is a a claw holding the bowl? If so that's a damn nice pipe for 99$. I would definitely buy it.

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi, stephen! If you're talking about the virgin eagle's claw in a maroon velvet-lined non-fitted or 'presentation' case that's on eBay right now in Texas with a Buy-It-Now of $100, I strongly advise you to go for it! After looking at that pipe myself just now, I googled 'Kazim meerschaum' and the first link brought me to this thread. A few years ago I purchased an almost-identical pipe on eBay, an unsigned vintage virgin claw with a bowl that had incredibly thick walls and spectacular true double-wall teardrop latticework. It was a honkin' big thing, something like 80 grams and 7 1/2 inches long with an absolutely gorgeous airy block and a snowy white egg set off by a lightly- contrasting natural (yellow) beeswax finish on the claws and talon and shank. I sold it to one of my best friends and he still says wonderful things about it every time I hear from him. I always wondered who carved it, even speculated that it might have been Sedat Koncak, but after seeing that Kazim eagle's claw just now I have no doubt whatsoever....none....that it was Kazim. Add another name to the long list of carvers I want to know more about. Anyway, if you buy it be sure to let us know how you like it. Eyup Sabri is still my main man (see the album under my profile) and I currently have like 18 or 20 vintage meers, around 1/2 of which are still virgins, but fair warning: if you wait too long I may decide this matter FOR you. IMHO this much pipe and carving in a modern quality Turkish meer from the Emins or Gezers will set you back $300 to $500 and still fall a bit short of the Kazim on raw block quality.

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
There! It took a while but I finally found some pictures of that eagle's claw of mine and posted them to my profile album. (it's the only eagle's claw in there). Also made a token gesture at bringing the album up to date by adding pics of a few of the other meers that have recently passed into (and in many cases OUT of) my herd.

billlittell12

Lurker
Mar 5, 2015
not sure how to use this site yet ,, as in New here have a nice pipe by Eyup Sabri take a look at pics in my post

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some pix from billlittell12's album.

p1030971-150x112.jpg

p1030951-150x112.jpg

p1030948-150x112.jpg

p1030954-150x112.jpg

p1030962-150x112.jpg

p1030960-150x112.jpg

Status