Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I was getting ready to start putting together this month's order, and I've been trying to focus on buying up tins of tobacco that may not be around once the FDA deeming stuff kicks in. I usually go to tobaccoreviews.com and look to see if there are any reviews older than 2007 to determine if a blend has been around long enough to not worry about losing.
I just checked Dunhill flake and there are no reviews dating back past 2009 or so. I thought this stuff had been around for a long time? I'm kind of freaking out here. If it's newer than 2007 then I gotta start stockpiling, NOW.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Dec 24, 2012
You ask an interesting question. I believe that Dunhill Flake used to be called Dunhill Light Flake but they had to drop the "light" around 2010 because of some legislation in the US. I am not positive but I believe that it is the same blend, just a different name. I don't, however, know the answer to your question about whether the blend will be grandfathered in circumstances where it was sold under a different name in February/2007. I would love to think that common sense would prevail, but it hasn't so far, I hope someone has some thoughts. My bet (hope) is that it may be grandfathered.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I mean, the answer is yes, stockpile Dunhill Flake because it's a delicious virginia. That's all.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It was known as Light Flake for a long time. It didn't change until they switched from Murray. The name change may be due to EU regulations - not sure. :puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
To qualify, does a blend have to have been available in the US market continuously since before 2007? If a blend was on sale in Europe continuously but reintroduced to the US market after 2007, what then?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no idea if it is going the way of the dodo, but I stocked up to the tune of about 140 tins a while ago. This is a blend that is going to age incredibly well.

Dec 24, 2012
To qualify, does a blend have to have been available in the US market continuously since before 2007? If a blend was on sale in Europe continuously but reintroduced to the US market after 2007, what then?
It has to have been on the market in the US on February 15, 2007. Being on the market on that date in Europe only doesn't get you there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been buying it whenever I see it in a shop. It's not a favorite (my perference is MM965) but I know 965 won't ago so well, after a certain point. I'm calculating that the Flake will be desirable 10-15 years down the road and perhaps I can trade for a heavier latakia blend. I'm also stockpiling OGS for a similar reason. I think that I have around 150 tins of 965 and I dont' think adding more of that blend is a good idea. I smoke 10-12 tins annually so that is about a 10 year supply.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Well ... I guess I'll start buying up Dunhill Flake then, just to be safe. It's not like I'm gonna suddenly not like it later down the road, and it's only gonna get better with age, so ...
Orlik Golden Sliced is safe, right? I mean, it's been around for a long time under the same manufacturer and name, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.