PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfatbloke

Lurker
Sep 29, 2016
Hi guys. English newbie here, well 'fairly' newbie. Been back seriously into pipe smoking about six months. My question is this: as an avid reader of reviews, I hear that Sobranie Balkan Blend was once considered by many to be the holy grail of tobaccos. It was discontinued, if the web is to be believed, about ten years ago. Now, there are some 50g tins available on eBay. Unopened. They all seem to reside in the collections of American collectors. Every advert on eBay clearly states that the value in the item is 'ONLY' in the packaging, i.e. The tin, and that the contents are not for human consumption. With shipping, I'd be expected to pay out around £50 sterling for a tin. In the opinion of my esteemed colleagues here, with your combined years of experience, how likely is it that the tobacco contained in these tins is still smokeable??? Yes, I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string?' Question, and that there are variables such as (1) is the tin still sealed? (2) is the seller trustworthy? (3) will it make it through customs? (4) am I insane for paying so much when there are other, newer tobaccos out there? At this point, gentlemen, I'm just interested to know if there's any point at all in even considering buying and smoking this stuff? Anyone with a considered view, or who has actually bought and smoked such a rarity is welcome to chip in with their views. Thanks. Joel.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If they are "only" £50.00, then they are almost certainly the newer rerelease of Sobranie, not the older discontinued Sobranie, which sells for $250.00 to $400.00 per 2oz. tin. This is still a good tobacco, but not likely the grail you are searching for!

May 4, 2015
How much is 50 worth to you? Since you'd have no recourse if the contents were unsmokable or not received at all for that matter, is it a gamble you're willing to take?
I wouldn't do it - both because I don't care how good it is, no tobacco is worth $40/ounce TO ME (or whatever the conversion is) and I'm not willing to gamble like that with my tobacco budget.

bigfatbloke

Lurker
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks guys, for the replies so far. It's not really about the money, it's wether or not the tobacco would be smokeable. I don't 'collect'. I smoke.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
>pays way too much for "holy grail" of pipe tobacco

>finds out it's new version, available for 13$

>buyers remorse kicks in

>returns not accepted

fSSh7df.png

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
At that price it's the new re-release. If you're looking for the original listen to Cosmic and keep an eye on his website. Sign up for his email notices so you know when he posts new tins available.
Take a look at some of the site sponsors and see if they ship international.
Also right nowIwan Ries has it in stock but I don't know if they ship international.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
@Bloke - The original Sobraine was discontinued many years ago, but it was re-released around 2011. As Phil said, if you are getting it for $40 a tin, it's most certainly the re-release. Why you are seeing it on eBay is that the re-release is hard to come by, probably because it's produced by Germain, and everything they produce seems to have some backlog.
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money on eBay at $40 a tin for a product that was probably produced in the last year. Either sign up for some of the online retailer "in-stock" notifications, or find something similar.

Does Germain really make the new version of BS? I just can't bring myself to like it, and usually I fall for all of the Garmain traps. But, to me BS is just a run of the mill Balkan. There are more fascinating Balkans, IMO. This one is historical, because it was the first, but so many people have released their version, that the original is about as exciting as a generic cigarette, IMO.
If you want a quality Balkan that seems to kaleidoscope over your tastebuds like a crazy tantalizing Balkan electro-rave of deliciousness, then try H&H WhiteHorse or McC's Yenidje Highlander. They'll really set your tastebuds to dancing.
BS will always just be, eh. ...to me.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/balkan-sobranie-virginian-no-10-tins-picked-up
Sometimes you get lucky, I wouldn't usually spend 50 on it, but hey if you find someone who doesn't know about pipe tobacco and tins. It might be worth it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The $50 version on eBay is the new Germain's reissue. They supposedly bought the formula but I'd be hard pressed to believe that they're following it, based on the result. You should be able to find it in the UK. If you're looking for something that does actually resemble the old Balkan Sobranie, buy WhiteKnight, which is available at Pipes and Cigars.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
If the seller represents it as original unopened, especially if you query him and he tells you so, and they turn out to be something else, the newer stuff, sawdust, etc., eBay will have your back no matter what his terms and conditions. You flat out cannot misrepresent something as being other than what it is.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
(4) am I insane for paying so much when there are other, newer tobaccos out there?
What you choose to pay for tobacco or pipes is a personal judgement call that only you can make. Risks bring rewards, but it seems the responses you've read here should be enough to convince you the purchase is not worth it.
Thanks guys!
On the other hand, if you have money to throw around, kick up your TAD and fill your cellar with a myriad of the incredible variety of blends available today, while they are available. Remember, you will never try everything, but most of what you try, new or old, will be a memorable experience and part of your personal tobacco smoking history.
Raise our pipes to the variety currently available!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Personally I'd rather smoke Blackhouse, Magnum Opus, White Knight or Yenidje Highlander.

Status
Not open for further replies.