PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I constantly hear about short supplies of certain tobaccos and wonder if it is all down to our modern ways of smoking. Years and years ago we pipe smokers used to stick to one or two favorite tobaccos, but now we chop and change from one to another and delight in the amount of tobaccos we try. It must be very difficult for tobacconist's to calculate there stocks, one month he might sell 100 tins of Squadron Leader, the next month he might only sell 20 tins. As soon as there is a good review on one brand on a site like this one they very likely have a run on this particular blend. I know it must be annoying to not get what we want at any one time but we can always try something else until the one we want is available, it's great fun to try different blends.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
Is there no one on here who has found a tobacco blend and sticks with it? This constant search for the "next big thing" seems both fruitless and expensive, with a lot of leftover unliked tobacco to deal with.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I like several blends and stick with them, but there is nothing wrong with trying new blends as well. I love bologna, but it would be a damn shame if I never tried a nice rib eye.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I think that most of us do have our tried and true "go to" blends that we always keep on hand, but we also like to try different blends as well. It is always an adventure to try a blend that is new to me. As for unliked blends, I usually don't buy more than 2oz of a new blend, that way if I don't care for it I'm not out much. Leftovers are not really a problem because I can usually find someone to pass them on to so they can try 'em. :puffy:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It took me a lot of time and money to sort out the types of blends that I like.As long as I feel that a blend seems to fit the bill I'm willing to give a try.I must admit though my system isn't perfect.I'm not always real pleased with my selection.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm a little bit epicurian in that respect. I like trying every new thing just to try it. I know I can go a mile from my house and get a 12oz tin of Captain Black if I want it, though. I also don't smoke a hell of a lot compared to a lot of people and that helps.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
good answer batdemon;
same for me, i only buy in 2 oz at a time, to date, after all these years, i still only have really 2 blends that r my favs. still on the search for that go-to baccy.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I think that most of us do have our tried and true "go to" blends that we always keep on hand, but we also like to try different blends as well.

Exactly. That's why it take me so long to try new blends. I always have two "go to" blends open and one or two experiments. I try to finish up the experimental blends before moving on to something new. If ever I find a new blend I like more than my "go to" blends, it'll become my new "go to" blend.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a couple of "go to" blends, but ultimately for me, the adventure is in variety.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
being new I tend to try as much new stuff as I can eventually I'll settle down but right now I am still just excited about everything

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
My first morning bowl is always the same, after that it is a crap shoot of 12 to 15 choices and I enjoy that part of pipe smoking. That may be the best part of pipe smoking to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.