PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Now after returning from a prolonged weekend trip to Sankt Petersburg( Russian Federation my worst expectations come true, imported pipe tobaccos are few and those are mostly aromatics (T products are not more displayed but kept behind curtains)nontheless there is one online retailer in the city,Pipeshop.ru which has quite a comprehensive range of pipetobaccoes, and quality pipes as well, and they can ship preordered stuff anywhere in Russia ,prices are similar to those seen in Germany or even a bit higher due to raised import taxes on tobacco products, though some Otc's are a bit cheaper, here are a few what I managed to bring back home,
cimg0309-600x450.jpg

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Paul, good to know. Coincidentally, it looks like I will be adding a St. Pete visit to my Russian trip in Sept. i will check to see if there is anything there or in Moscow that I can’t get state side.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
There is some "creativity" in warning labels. In addition to typical- "smoking kills", "Amphora" has a sign - "Blindness", and "Clan"- "Excruciating Death" :(

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks for the report! It's good to know, that you can buy GL Pease blends in Russia. Here in Germany they do not sell any American made tobaccos, as far as I know. I have to order from the US.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
WOW!!

Those warning labels are interesting! I thought they were only crazy in California USA!!???

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm surprised there's anything. I've never been to Russia, but the distribution of consumer goods of any kind has never been good there, by reports. At least they don't have to wait hours for the same low grade consumer goods. Or ... correct me if I'm wrong. People medicate with vodka.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
mso, the days of waiting in line for toilet paper are long since gone. In many ways, the Russian Federation is more capitalist than us :)

I will give an up to date report in a couple of months. People do like their vodka but, you are way off base about the medical system. I could give you a lot more detail but, I would be getting into the realm of political. I won’t go there here.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I visited Moscow and Sochi in 2002. Really friendly people. Wish I had hit St Petersburg but did not have the time.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
There's a fair amount of SG plugs and other things we don't get in the US available there through supertabak.ru (last used them a few months ago in Moscow). The 2-3 biggest Russian retailers have lots of GLP and C&D blends at about 1.5X US prices. I've even seen H&H tins at a cigar shop in Siberia!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As far as the PipeShop.ru goes, they were attending the Chicago pipe show of 2019 and have created business relationships with smokingpipes.com supplying Russian Artisan carver pipes, they do have quite a large selection those both new and estates,where needed one can contact them through the contact page they do speak English fairly well, Mr.Lev at least.But Yes,generally speaking, shortages in imported tobacco supplies in Russia are omnipresent and repeating, mainly due to new healthcare laws & restrictions, /new gov tax tags/pictures on all import and domestic stuff)

Prices for Gl Pease /C&D are higher than in the U.S averaging from $ 15 to $ 17 per 2 oz tin,G&H 1,75 tins are like $ 12 whereas 40gr ziplock pouch offerings are cheaper starting from $ 8 to 10

Status
Not open for further replies.