PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Completely non pipe related, but with such a diverse group here, with many shooting sports folks, I thought it might be worth it.
At 47 years old, I am finally going to have to get corrective lens glasses. Haven't had the examination yet, but I am undoubtedly losing my short range vision. Difficult to read a book without cheaters, cant hold my phone far enough away from my face to get a decent read on it, etc.
My medium and long range vision seem to be fine.
I understand that folks who wear prescription glasses and shoot often have certain modifications made, away from typical, to their glasses to address problems that normal glasses either create or do not fix.
So what are they?
I would primarily be interested in the issue of the AR 15 rifle, open sights, in dealing with the sight picture out to around 100 meters, and similar.
Also, do one typically get a pair of glasses for daily use, and another for shooting?
Thanks.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I didn't need glasses when I was active duty but was a Drill Instructor and taught Marksmanship at Parris Island when I was young. I still hunt with open sights once in a while and have a little trick that might work for some depending on your prescription.... One thing I taught was focus your eye on your front sight. The rear sight or sighting ring, and the target will be a bit fuzzy, or out of focus. When I was on the Marine Corps shooting team, we fired at targets 1000 yards away with the M-1 Grande (30-06) and M-14 (7.62 or .308). If you shoot any at all you'll get used to it quick. I don't practice any more, but it works for me wearing bifocals (use your upper lens) when I take a shot even when I haven't fired a weapon in months.... The biggest problem I have is with all the lenses when I try to use a scope. I can't hit shit! Ya also gotta learn to clinch your pipe on your off-hand side so the recoil doesn't upset your tobacco to much.... Good Luck!

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'm nearsighted, but I shoot a lot and so obviously need to see long distance. I have two sets of corrected lenses: my everyday, eye doctor-provided glasses and a set of Pilla's corrected shooting glasses that I use for both pistol/rifle and shotgun. I can't recommend Pilla lenses enough. They make a line of lenses that are both protective (supposedly bulletproof-no personal tests of that claim pending) and corrected. They also make protective lenses that cover a set of corrected spectacles mounted on the same frame, making for four lenses total, but these are heavier. The advantage is you can change correction without buying all new protective Rx lenses- they are not cheap.

I don't know what one would need beyond regular prescription, unless your sight is very, very bad. My father's is poor enough that he needs different lenses for different types of shooting, but then he also needs a set of reading glasses in addition to his regular prescription lenses. Unless your vision's that bad, all you'll need is a set of glasses that are safetywear and provide correction. Unless of course regular glasses are good enough, which they are for many and were for me, for a while. That depends on one's own preferences. I shoot shotgun on a regular basis and don't want shells hitting my eye.

If you're interested, here's their website-http://www.pillasport.com/

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I guess my question is centered around something I heard, of which I cannot recall the details, based upon placement of the lenses on bifocals. I don't even know if I will need bifocals, but that is where I was going with it.
In other words, will (as an example), a lens that allows for reading interfere with rear to front sight picture, or sight picture from front to target?
I want rear peep fuzzy, front post sharp, target fuzzy for the type of shooting I will do. I am just wondering if a typical setup on lenses will interfere with that. Having never worn prescription lenses, I have no idea how they "look" when using them, or how your eyes adjust to variable ranges.
Thanks for the information on the specific lenses. I, at least initially, plan on getting a conservative "fashion" pair for normal wear, and maybe some Oakleys or Gargoyles for work (I am a Correctional Officer).

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
When I was wearing glasses, I picked out a nice pair of Oakley frames. These did the best at staying on my face where I needed them and a few years later when I started shooting, they worked ok from a fixed position at closer ranges. When I started doing some IDPA shooting, the glasses were killing me because I'd constantly find myself having a hard time adjusting my eyes with varying distances and often found myself trying to look over my glasses. Ultimately I had to switch to contacts and found that much more comfortable.
With the AR, the Oakleys did ok too but I learned that my distance vision is just never going to be that great. I guess it's the degree of astigmatism I have. I gave up on open sight shooting and went with a 3x Nikon P-223 scope setup. That has given me the most comfortable view for being able to hit something more than 50 yds away.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I don't think that you'll have a problem. I have the opposite correction, but my glasses help me to identify and acquire targets without interfering with my use of iron sights or scopes on handguns or rifles. I still get perfect sight picture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have much insight on this, but I am always interested that both the ranges I have used locally

have allowed me to use my prescription glasses as safety glasses, no questions asked. One of them

had to close because of rowdy/dangerous shooters.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Thanks for all the input so far.
I have to qualify with the AR at 100 meters, so it is important for my job security, as much as any other consideration.
With any sort of point or reflexive shooting, such as pistol and shotgun, I have no current issues. I can't recall the last time I ever actually did actual "target" shooting with a handgun.
But I have to be able to get good sight pictures through standard AR sights, and the last time I qualified I didn't have that confidence.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
What is your actual prescription? I am an optician and would love to help. If I know your actual prescription, I might be able to give better advice, but based on what you have told me already- You don't need Rx shooting glasses. If you vision is fine at distance, I.E. you can drive and watch TV with no problems, then you would be better off with no correction for open sighted shooting. Over time, you will need a stronger reader, and you may need a progressive lens to see your rear sight well. Can you see your rear sight blade OK now? Most presbyopes (people who need a reader) just use a single vision distance Rx in their shooting specific glasses. I have one patient who uses a modified 22 round seg bifocal for shooting with a scope, as it gives him a little needed magnification on the upper inside corner of his lens on his shooting eye. You aren't there yet if you are just being prescribed a reader. I would just use a quality polarized amber or brown sunglass lens for shooting, maybe Wiley X or Smith Elite. You can use a pink lens for low light if you want. Maui Jim makes two rimless models that have no prescription on top, but a low-placed reader in the bottom of the lens, this could be especially useful for you unless you need a safety rated pair for work, then look at the aforementioned brands. Here are those Maui Jims, they have excellent optical quality: http://www.mauijim.com/shop/en/us/makaha-reader

If you want to spend money on nice glasses, I am betting you would like office progressives- a no-line multifocal designed only for closer up work, you take them off for distance tasks. Let me know if you have questions.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I don't know how helpful this will be, as I haven't done any actual rifle shooting since I got bifocals - but I have taken the handguns out to the range (and I'm to the point now where I need to do something about optics, as open sights and my eyes aren't getting along any more...).
Bifocals generally do the close-up correction toward the bottom of the lens, while the middle of the lens is set for longer distance correction. I'm not familiar with the biomechanics of the AR sights, but as long as the middle of the lens lines up with your sight picture, the bifocal element shouldn't interfere overmuch.
You might talk to your optometrist about a secondary pair of shooting-specific glasses without the bifocal correction, if it turns out that I'm completely off base (which is quite possible...).

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I don't know what I am talking about and not near as qualified as all previous posts, but, went shooting today, been wearing bifocals for 27 years, used the lower part of the bifocals to align the front & rear sights to target. Target was blurry but distinguishable. Put them in all center mass.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
portascat, those Wiley Xs would work well if you want tons of coverage and interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. Notice that those are not polarized lenses. OK, let me break this down- all sunglass lenses are either polarized or just a tint. Tinted lenses reduce overall light transmission, with tints like brown, amber, yellow, etc. increasing contrast at the same time. Polarized lenses look the same at casual glance, but are actually not tinted- they have a polarized film embedded in/on the lens. This film is a vertically oriented filter that selectively reduces glare, or reflected light, which travels mostly on a horizontal plane. Polarized lenses cost more than tinted lenses. Polarized lenses have traditionally been very popular with fishermen, because they allow you to see into the water- but keep in mind that they greatly improve your viewing experience in ANY outdoor lighting situation, because you catch glare from your car hood, the road, snow, water, any reflective surface. Wiley X has made their name in shooting and safety eyewear, and they make both tinted and polarized lenses. I consider their polarized lenses to be OK. They pale in comparison to the lenses being engineered by the industry's leaders: Maui Jim (especially glass and MauiPure), Smith Techlite glass and Chromapop (Trivex), and Costa 580 glass. With optics, everything is a compromise- do you want the ANSI rated shooting protection of a Wiley X, or the stunning optical clarity of a Maui Jim? Oakley has been mentioned several times. Oakley makes OK polarized lenses, but they are definitely behind the curve when compared to the aforementioned companies. They are more just popular because they are a recognizable 'designer' brand. Ok, now here is the REAL catch. You might actually WANT to have just a tint for your shooting lenses. For a few lighting situations, it is actually beneficial to catch a little glare. You might want to see a little glare of that target. Skiing lenses are usually just tinted because you want to see glare off snow contours. Go tinted for a few special applications, otherwise a polarized lens will improve your viewing experience hands down. Here are a few Wiley X models that I prefer to the one you linked. Try to find a dealer where you can try them on for fit.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=OUTDOORS&SeriesCode=559&ProductLine=626,JAKE&ItemCode=CCJAK05
http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=OUTDOORS&SeriesCode=561&ProductLine=1021,CHSAI&ItemCode=CHSAI01

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Portascat, I shoot competetive high power with the AR, and had a similar problem develop as I turned 40. TopD's comments are spot on. If you can't focus on your front sight, then you need glasses to help you do so. First, go see an eye doctor and get a good assesment of you eye health. Then find an optometrist who doesn't mind you bringing the AR with you. My optometrist measured the eye-to sight distance, the eye position when shooting, and cut me a pair of single-vision glasses just for shooting. Do not get progressives. Actually, you only need the one eye for target shooting, but the field of view should be wide enough that you aren't fishing for the sweet spot when you need to be acquiring a sight picture.
Good luck, this is easy to do.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
My optometrist measured the eye-to sight distance, the eye position when shooting, and cut me a pair of single-vision glasses just for shooting. Do not get progressives.
Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense optically. Your front sight is at 'intermediate' distance. If you truly need a reader, then there is no way you can see both the target (at infinity) and the front sight (at intermediate) perfectly with a single vision lens. You HAVE to have a multifocal lens to see both clearly. If you only have a low prescribed reader power (e.g. +1.50), basically you forego the reader power altogether and do a single vision distance, as your eyes can still accommodate adequately at intermediate. Your doctor could tweak your distance prescription to have a little more + power (what I suspect happened in your case), but if you do that you are sacrificing in distance vision clarity, I.E seeing the target well. This is especially true for people who are nearsighted at distance.
P.S. I agree with you that a progressive is not a great option for shooting, that is why I recommended a SV distance in an earlier post.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
then there is no way you can see both the target (at infinity) and the front sight (at intermediate) perfectly with a single vision lens.
That is correct, I don't think that I implied otherwise. You need to see the front sight clearly, not the target. I know that sounds strange, but it's what works.
You HAVE to have a multifocal lens to see both clearly.
When target shooting, the most important factor is a consistent, locked-down position with a firm cheek-weld to the butt stock. (Yes, we've made all those jokes already). You do not shift your head, or your eyes. So you do sacrifice the distance for the near, and yes, it takes a little getting used to, but I shoot much better with my glasses.
If you get really serious about target shooting, you get a pair of these:
Gallerie5.jpg

http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/wp/en/shooting-glasses/k1/

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I need near-vision correction, but am still 20-20 at distance (not too bad for a 68 year old). I have a couple pair of off-the-shelf Winchester shooting glasses which have a slight (1.25 I think) bifocal built into them; the rest of the glass is clear (no magnification). I use them both on the range and when I work in my shop. When shooting, they allow me to see front sight just fine (it's outside my near-vision correction range) but still allow me to see the gun details when I need to adjust or clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.