PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
... and vice verca
So let's pretend that my friend in the US wants to send me less than 7oz of tobacco to my home in Ajax, Ontario, Canada. I know that I can buy and bring back 7oz or less of pipe tobacco when travelling home from the US. So can my friend ship this amount to me without fear of breaching municipal, state or federal law/statute/practice?
I'm looking online, but thought that some of you folks might have the answer more immediately.
Thanks in advance.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Roth. To be clear, I don't want to contravene any laws nor workaround any existing taxes, duties, etc. I am happy to pay any duties that might be incurred. I just want to make sure my friend who's sharing is free and clear.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
USPS Priority Mail is the WTG, IMO.
+1
Agreed. I don't ship anything without tracking and insurance. It makes the shipping more expensive, but seriously, the last thing anyone wants is "lost in the mail".
-- Pat

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You can ship back and forth. The problem on your end would be your customs, they can place some hefty fees. A friend of mine in Canada ordered half a pound from a BM for $25 or so. Customs caught it and placed a $125 worth of fees on it. They probably do not scrutinize person to person packages as closely, unless you go over a pound or so. Just my experience with your postal organization.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
A friend in the states huh??????
No one has EVER accused me of being subtle. For the record, if you had changed the quote above to, "A friend in the states eh?" You'd almost be ready to pass up here, with the appropriate use of, "eh," in a sentence.
-- Pat

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Just checking in to remind everyone to keep this thread on the straight and narrow. It's been excellent up until now and I'd hate to delete a thread which is otherwise a great discussion. Thanks!
-Jason

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
You can legally have 35oz shipped to you, you will much more likely get hit with duties in such a big shipment, but the law allows 5 units of pipe tobacco I believe, and 200g is a unit, so thats a kilogram you can ship. Thats risky business probably, but someone on here, I think Peck, has mentioned they've ordered pipe tobacco in quantities close to a kg and have even made it across. I'm too scared to risk it.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
When I owned my shop in Scottsdale, AZ, I had a Canadian customer with a winter home in AZ. When he returned home to Canada during the summer, I'd ship him his tobacco, usually 1/2 pound per package. I'd include a copy of P&T magazine with the order and ship everything in a flat box. I'd declare "documents" on the customs form. I wasn't lying, there were documents in the package, but I "forgot" to mention the tobacco. Oops, my bad.
The flat shape of the box worked to not raise suspicions of customs inspectors. The vast majority of the time it would go right through no problems. Rarely, customs would open it and charge an outrageous duty, usually 3 times the original cost of the tobacco, which my customer would have to pay upon delivery.
The worst thing that happened was duties were charged. No one was arrested, no one went to jail, no one got in any trouble.
I've learned through years of experience, that when dealing with the government, being absolutely honest 100% of the time WILL get you into trouble, especially in this day and age. Only divulge enough information to get things done. Tell them what the need to know and say no more.
To ask permission is to be denied. Just do it and apologize later. I've adopted this attitude over the years, based on personal experience, and it works for me. I'm not telling anyone what to do, just relaying my experience.
YMMV. Caveat Emptor.
CACooper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Steve Laug recently posted in his blog to a Canadian shop that he paid $28/ounce for house blend. I knew tobacco was more costly in Canada, but I had no idea (usually$4/ounce for house blends here). I have sent him 4-5 ounces as samples and declared as much on the customs doc. We had no issues with those amounts.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Just checking in to remind everyone to keep this thread on the straight and narrow. It's been excellent up until now and I'd hate to delete a thread which is otherwise a great discussion. Thanks!
-Jason
Just a reminder: Discussion of methods for shipping tobacco across borders to avoid paying taxes on those shipments will be deleted.
Please don't do it.

:puffy:

coolsiggy

Lurker
May 18, 2013
Some countries, like Australia have taxed tobacco products as much as 200%, as a result retail sales have dropped and retail pricing has also added a price premium. I have import via post from a online US retailer for over 20 years without a problem in quantities up to 32 ozs. The only issue here is that the parcel is correctly labelled as tobacco.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I live in Western Canada and I am going to Boston in a little over a week and I will be testing out the sending tobacco to a friend in Canada situation. Wife & I will be binging back a bit under 200 grams each when we fly back. I will also have a friend mail a similar amount to me. Fully expect to pay any duty and taxes that may be applied as it will still be a cost effective solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.