Shipping overseas - and your conscience.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have somebody who wants a couple of pipes. The problem is he lives in China. I spoke with my shipper, and he said he would only ship there with DHL, which would cost as much as one of the pipes. He said I could mail it there (he won't do it) for a lot less money, but it could take months to get there and no tracking once it leaves the U.S. I'm not comfortable with doing that, but left it to the buyer to decide. Any experience (or advice) here would help. What is the right ting to do here?

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Shipped a pipe and some tobacco to Germany and received some back from a friend. Once it leaves the home country no tracking. Was I worried ? Sure. About customs not the mail. Let the buyer make the decision and don't over value or do anything that might throw up a red flag.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I sent a forum member in China a sample of Fayuum Cake. A small sample, it arrived a month later and cost $20. Worth it? Eh.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've sent pipes to China via USPS with zero problems. You can go on USPS.com and do it all including the Customs forms. Works great!!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
pretty often I were sending letter mail and 2 class parcels to The States and England as well with no tracing and all reach destination and were collected, but if one wants be on safety side, I suppose express letter mail do has tracking ,yet the signed for option existe for letters,of coure at surcharge.The USPS Flat Rate Priority international mail envelopes are very good option as well, as far as I know these Priority International prepaid Flat Rate letters are trackable and costs is about $15 with 3 oz weight.Whereas the USPS First Class International small packages work well to all European destinations even if they do not offer no tracking services.Time in transit takes bout two weeks. Hope this helps somehow,

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've sent pipes to China via USPS with zero problems. You can go on USPS.com and do it all including the Customs forms. Works great!!
You can do all of that online? I wish I would have known that, I just sent something to the U.K. and it's always a large pita. Now not only do I have to lie about what I'm sending, I have to itemize my lies! i just don't like to lie which is why I very rarely ship overseas.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
All of the customs info can be done on USPS and printed. I have sent things to China. The first time it took 10 business days. The second time it took 3 months, no joke.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I sent a couple cobs to a member in Hungary via USPS. No problems at all, and best I remember, there was tracking all the way there.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
To be honest most of the time my parcels arrive quicker in China than in the States! DHL works great for me but I never ship without insurance.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I think shipping over to China is fine as long as you have a good address to send it too. I have had things sent to me when I first moved out here, but it was often a huge pain. Everytime something was sent I would have to go looking for it. Maybe I was doing things wrong.
This is a timely post though because I am in the process of shipping a ton of my (wife's) stuff back to America. After 8 years in China I am finally moving back.

Status
Not open for further replies.