PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
Hey guys,

So this question is pretty random, but i figured that i would ask just because i am begging to get to that point where my collection is outgrowing my needs (if thats actually possible). Anyways, i decided that i am going to try to sell a few pipes soon so that i can either buy a nicer pipe, or have money for my TAD. Anyways, i figured that before i get into actually selling pipes, i should first figure out how i can ship them out.

I was wondering, for those of you who have sold pipes online before, how do you ship your pipes? What is the cheapest (while still being safe) way to ship them, and about how much should i expect to pay? Are there any tricks/tips to shipping pipes?

Thanks guys. You always are able to answer my questions!

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I have been selling pipes for about a year now. I just separate the stem from the shank and wrap the two pieces in bubble wrap very well individually and put them in a padded envelope and seal the edges with packaging tape. Then I just tape on the printed postage (I use PP to print the postage) and it is good to go. I haven't had anyone complain about my packaging yet. Feel free to do so now if you have ever bought a pipe from me and this process was faulty as I would hate to keep shipping this way and it not work.
The bubble wrap I either reuse from previous purchases or I have a big roll. The big roll is 12" by 220ft and was $11 I think and I don't know how much I use from that roll each time but no more than two squares I would guess. Still alot of padding. The 6x10 padded envelopes were $18 for 100 so $0.18 each. Postage is normally around $1.60-$2.00 a pipe. So that is what like $1.80-$2.20 a pipe for shipping? ($1.60-$2.00 shipping cost, $0.18 for the envelope, and $0.05 a foot for the bubble wrap) I normally include shipping in my prices though so it is hassle free.
Hope this helps.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
If you want to test it out, mail me a few pipes. I will let you know if I am impressed when I get them. Might take a few shipments to work out any issues.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I also ship USPS Priority Mail, the boxes are free from the Postal Service/Post Office, and postage can be printed online with free tracking. It is less expensive to ship first class with an envelope but I'm always concerned about contents being thrown around or mis handled. And I always separate the stem and bowl and wrap individually to protect against any breakage.

Andy

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I mail by Priority Mail in the free boxes. I too always seperate and wrap the stem and pipe seperate. I then put them both in a ziploc baggy. I reuse the styrofoam peanuts and fill the box surrounding the pipe.
I've shipped hundreds of pipes and never had one lost or arrive damaged yet. :)

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I buy pipes all the time from online stores and the shipping is always $6.00 or less for one pipe and maybe $8.95 for more than one pipe and tobacco. I always use USPS Priority Mail. I always save the great packaging to. That way I can reuse it if I sell a couple. I like the air pillows the best. Those I save.

Status
Not open for further replies.