PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
I was just informed by my Staff Sargent that I'm shipping out January 28th instead of November 19th no idea why but he said he would brief me later this week :crazy: I mean I'm glad I'm going to be here through the holidays but it's frustrating I want to get moving with my life and start it. Living at home is ok but fights are becoming more often with my dad... Also I hate how I'm not givin a calendar of events or anything. For example I was told 2 days in advance that I had a DEP meeting an I had planned to go camping this week however I got sick and so I wasn't able to go to either. Also I already told everyone that I was shipping out November. It's just frustrating.

Sorry for the rant but I just need to blow off so steam and you guys are great.
Gunnar

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Welcome to the military. Hurry up and wait.
^^^^^^^ THIS! Get used to it boot! It will come dude just enjoy what you have left while you can because as soon as you get there, you'll begin to ask yourself what you were thinking. Did you go in open or did you get a mos field?

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
My time in the service taught me; Planning is good but always expect the unexpected. I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays. Stay safe.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
if you transfer to the Army, you'll make rank a lot more quickly and a ton more money.
Uhhh, what? An E-1 in the Corps makes just as much as an E-1 in the Army. Plus making rank more quickly depends upon many more factors than what service you choose such as MOS field. Gunnar, you are bound to be an O3 if you go open but if that's cool with you...Nothing wrong with it. I always wanted to be a crew chief but I ended up in a critical MOS and couldn't leave my field. Choose wisely and remember, if it aint in writing, it didn't happen!!

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I worked in DoD personnel for 37 years.
Started as a E-1, retired as a Colonel, served in three branches in that time in uniform, then did a second career as a DoD civilian consultant for another 12 years.
Trust me, promotions are much faster in the Army over any other branch.
8O
Ok, you got me. I only did 4 years and out. But I'd say you would know.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
I considered army but I want the Marine Corps training. When I was talking to the army recruiters they did mention I would make rank quicker than the other branches.

I'm proud to serve. But I am a bit nervous. Which I guess is normal. I need to drop 5-10 pounds because I was measured an inch shorter I thought I was. Thanks everyone for the replys :)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just remember boot camp is a mind game. You will fail. A lot. And you will wonder WTF am I doing here. Just don't quit and don't let anyone convince you to quit. Just try your best to do whatever they are yelling in your ear and if you blow it just suck it up and drive on. By about week six it will be kind of fun in a sick way and you will see yourself change.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Semper Fi Gunnar!

As a Fifth Generation Marine, I can say: Thank you for your service to our country, my family, and me.

You'll do just fine.

Just remember don't ask why, just do and everything will go smoothly.

And, when the platoon gets in trouble, it's not because somebody screwed up....

It's because it was on the training schedule. :D
:puffy:

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Wow Lawrence thank you and your family for serving as well! Thanks I'll keep that in mind! My biggest fear is letting everyone down honestly.

Semper Fi!

Gunnar

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Guns:
You'll do well.
Just remember that your training is designed to make you fail. The cadre at Uncle Sam's Misguided Children will beat out any streak of individualism you hold dear and meld you into one who thinks as a squad/team/unit/etc.
One of my kiddos is attending college on a USN scholarship as a Marine option. He's only a sophomore, but he's already seen enough of the tear down/build up training philosophy that he now knows what to expect in the coming years.
He's still going to get his ass kicked. He's still going to question his sanity. And he's still going to wonder why in the hell he signed his name on the dotted line.
What really pleases me is that he'll be serving alongside young men, such as yourself, who are equally as concerned about doing well.
You're going to be fine, brother. Just grab a root and howl.
Cheers.
Fnord

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I was in the Army, not the Corps but the rules are the same: keep your mouth shut, do what they say and give all assigned tasks 100% of your effort and attention and you will be fine. I very much enjoyed the Army, you become part of a family and a tradition that goes back to the begginings of our country, it's a feeling that is hard to describe. I'm proud of you for joining our military, too many people think that their freedom and the American way of life are god given, they're NOT! Our way of life was earned by hundreds of thousands of men and women who chose to protect and defend our nation.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Not to worry. Marines always help each other and work together in teams....

I over heard my step-mother talking to my wife one day when I was over at Dad's and we were working on a couple of projects: "You see how much they get done when they are together? They are trained to work in teams, and the two of them will get 4 times more done, than if they were working alone. It's a Marine thing."

Her Dad (RIP) and brother are Marines too... Her brother Ross plays taps over our Veterans in Arkansas when they are laid to rest.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
hey i just want to take a minute to thank yall. i know you have to put up with a lot stuff like this waiting and more but we would not be where we are with out people like you serving. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.