PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Hi guys,
I've got a black blasted Author that's shiny and I want to make it flat/dull.
How do I do it?
Thanks!
Todd

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You may simply need to smoke it go accomplish that. The pie either shiny because of a wax, like carnuaba, or shiny because of a laquer coat. The wax will burn off with heat. Lacquer might require a wipe with acetone.

Mike S.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
It's a production line Rossi pipe, so it's probably lacquer, correct? and acetone will take of the lacquer without hurting the briar, correct?
Thanks for your input,
Todd

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Probably no long term harm to the briar, but you'll have a coat or two of black stain to deal with. Acetone application may take many tries, lotsa work.
Whatever you do, please post before and after pix!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Try rubbing it down with Alcohol and a rag, Alcohol will dull the finish and isn't as harsh as acetone, should just take off the finish layer of wax

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
pagan, alcohol didn't seem to do it, so i went for the acetone. The acetone was a little too strong as it pulled off a bit of the black stain, not all but a bit.
So now I ask, what do pipe makers (probably artisans) use to dye a pipe black?
Todd

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
What about taking flame to the outside of the bowl?
I want to make it really dull/flat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hmm, to dull a pipe, I assume you would like a matte type finish.
I'd try a worn piece of scotchbrite pad. Guys use that to touch up brushed stainless watch bands

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
ssjones,
I would think that a scrotchbrite would also take off the stain, then I'm back to re-staining it. So far there is still enough stain on it to be black. I just noticed that as I applied the acetone black stain was also coming off and the pipe still had a bit of shine to it.
Does anyone see anything wrong with taking a lighter to it to try and burn off the shine?
Thanks for your help on this!
Todd

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Using a lighter, you risk burning the wood and permanently ruining the pipe. I would just remove the stain and restain, it's easy dye to find.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Fieblings leather dye lefty it shiny also - arrrgh!
next thought...

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Rubbing alcohol took off the shiny from my Rossi pipe a bit, although it was more of an accident. What kind of spirits did you use?

incident

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
Um...sandpaper?
Grab an 800 grit or something relatively fine, and give it a light sanding. Just scuff the surface lightly.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Zinsser makes a paint deglosser. All the garage door manufactures make you use it on new doors before re painting. It works. But I'd test it on a beater first. No need to sand it dulls the finish.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Copious amounts of elbow grease, an old rough towel, and acetone stripped it down pretty good.
Now I've taken a pipe cleaner's worth of Fieblings blotted out on a towel, and repeated after it dried each time, we'll see how that works...
Otherwise maybe HomDepot has SUPER dull shellac ?

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
I'm shocked that no one brought up "0000" Steel Wool.... That should let you buff out the shine without removing the stain....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No to shellac!
I assume you had a dull enough finish on the pipe after the acetone treatment to strip the finish off. What did the pipe look like then?

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
jpmcwr, there is still a bit of shine to the pipe, not much, but I'd like to get it as FLAT black as possible, so there is no shine at all, like what the inside of the bowl looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.