Tags:  No tags yet. 
[closed]

Shiny Pipes Tracy Mincer Pipe

(29 posts)
  1. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was gifted a Tracy Mincer pipe purchased from Shiny Pipes as NOS. It tastes awful. After doing a close examination, I realized that the signature was lacquered over so thickly that is was smooth and that the finish had "run" marks in the lacquer. A alcohol bath has resulted in very thick cake or pipe mud releasing from the "wallowed" out bottom of the bowl and small pits inside the bowl. And a torrent of black crud, does not look like cake, is being released. WTH? Does SP coat the bowl to look new? Or as protection? Or...?

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doc, put up some pics. You've got me interested.

Also Shiny Pipes and gifted sounds inconsistent, incongruous and downright odd. No offense.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The few pipes I've purchased from them have had no issues. Something does sound off.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shiny pipes... here we go again!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shiny pipes... here we go again!

This is always a grand ride. Wheeeee!

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, is there an issue with Shiny Pipes that I am missing? My wife, in her help to enable me to again enjoy pipes, bought me a pipe from SP. It was a freehand and she saw me looking at various freehands on EBay. So she bought one within our budget. Ash, photos of the bowl?

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe, bowl and anything.

I didn't want to come off like a jerk, well not a giant one, so that's great about your wife.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bottom of bowl. It is the very lower part of the bowl that was once smooth. Now, a cavity. I have never smoked a bowl all the way to ash. Not close in this pipe. I can photograph the container and the "gunk" but it does not seem relevant.

Color loss after approx. 3 minutes in alcohol. I imagine much will come back with carnauba. But I tried to strip one of my pipes for days and did not come close to this much lightening accomplished in minutes.

I just find this a bit off. I am not sure anything was wrong in the first place. Just wondered if a coating is normal and the bottom of the bowls transformation is a bit distressing. In any case, it seems like there is plenty of wood and I can make pipe mud to rebuild bottom. No burnout. Just odd, as I stated earlier.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Geez, Shiny Pipes are known around here for their shenanigans, but they have clearly sunk to new depths.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every time I browse pipes on Ebay, Shiny Pipes shows up, and I've forced myself to look away from some beautiful pipes. Why? Because nearly every time the name has popped up here on the forums it's been a horror story of one sort or another. And they use some insanely good photoshop skills to make a nightmarish pipe look immaculate. I believe it was Woodsroad (correct me if I'm wrong) who posted a pipe including photos of the pipe from Shiny Pipes. It was a great looking pipe... dang near flawless. But then he showed the photos of the pipe he received and it was a disaster of fills. It's stories like that and like this that I think has probably saved me some serious disappointment.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. kirkland

kirkland

Login to Send PM

"Shiny Pipes" is run by some snooty little witch. I wouldn't buy a pipe from her ever."Shitty Pipes" is a better name. But you did mention that it was gifted to you so is there the possiblity that the gifter made the alterations ?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shiny Pipes has done more harm to this hobby than anyone I can think of. I can't say anymore or I will get banned.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Might have been me, but I don't remember that. I do know that I've been less than pleased with my purchases from ShinyPipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this is your pipe.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-039-s-TRACY-MINCER-Freehand-Estate-Pipe-VERY-NICE-z81-/262845602777?nma=true

It was sold as used, not NOS, but I can't think of an innocent explanation for whatever is going on at the bottom of the bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bowl has been coated in the photo fo sho.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitchfork, Thanks. Yes, that looks like it. I can only think that my wife was made to believe it was as that is how she presented it to me. In any case, it did look, externally, almost perfect. So it was not a stretch for me to believe that it was NOS as she thought. And the bowl did look unused. Of course, she knows less than me and our naivety could explain her thinking it was new, more or less.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. alialansari

Ali Alansari

Login to Send PM

A while back I purchased a couple of pipes from Shiny Pipes that I never got around to smoke. I had better check them out!

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have three pipes from Shiny Pipes, all with no complaints. I've come to know her personally as well and find her to be a fine individual, outside the pipe world. Like many estate (and new pipe) vendors, they do coat their bowls. I just wipe them out with a paper towel soaked in alcohol.(and all three bowls were mint). I assume she coats for asthetics,as there was no reason to coat the bowls for repairs,etc.At least not on the pipes I bought. There are some vendors that I wouldn't use, Shiny Pipes is not one of them.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I can't imagine why you soaked that strummel in alcohol. Carnuba wax will not bring the color back, it will need to be restained (an easy task).

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe not my best move with the soak but I did not like the heavy lacquer and I wanted a good soak to attempt to kill the taste. I thought I might have to restain. In any case, that is the least of my problems with this pipe. Water under the bridge now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've purchased two pipes from Shiny Pipes. One was a shitshow and a pita to deal for refund and I actually ended up throwing it away because of the crack beneath the bowl. The other pipe was okay, but buffed to death, and quit honestly I think buffed to death after nomenclature photos were taken. Nope I'm done with them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

I went back and looked at the pics of this pipe you posted 3 months ago. The second if looking closely with the stamping seems to have a spray on lacquer you can tell by the orange peel finish . Pretty sure it didn't come out of the shop like that. I wouldn't of caught that without your heads up and an in hand inspection Plus no full chamber shots in rest of pics. Draw your own conclusions. I won't buy from them.
    http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/16398/s-l1600-5-600x450.jpg

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Other than tasting bad, how did it smoke?

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There have been so many complaints about that vendor over the years. They used to buff the shit out of their pipes and photoshop them. I don't think they do that anymore, and so have entered into a new era, and people here are buying from them. I have seen threads where the lady has weighed in on here, but I am not even going to deal with them. They used to have some crazy lingo in their ads where if you bid you forfeit you ability to give them negative reviews or some such madness.

I am just curious where they get all those nice pipes. I guess she has wooed an awful lot of people.

Life is too short for me to risk it.

On a lighter note, doc, your wife gets huge props. It was so nice of her to buy you a pipe at all. That is where we can draw some positivity from. And by all accounts she has good taste in pipe aesthetics. That was a really handsome pipe in the ebay listing.

Best of luck cleaning that up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Ok, is there an issue with Shiny Pipes that I am missing?

Is a 400 lb robin fat?

I believe it was Woodsroad (correct me if I'm wrong) who posted a pipe including photos of the pipe from Shiny Pipes. It was a great looking pipe... dang near flawless. But then he showed the photos of the pipe he received and it was a disaster of fills.

I believe that it was six who did that post. SP had used photoshop (badly) to hide a bunch of flaws in a pipe they were selling. It was the beginning of an interesting interaction with SP that later had her publishing a member's private info here and much craziness on PM before those threads were removed.

Some people have had good experiences with SP, some have bad experiences with SP. I've spotted enough issues with their product that I wouldn't buy from them myself. YMMV.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was treated very poorly by the woman at Shiny Pipes. I was given a refund but not until I had to endure a string of insults and veiled threats.

Two words: Stay Away.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ok, is there an issue with Shiny Pipes that I am missing?

Check this one:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ebay-sellers-info

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

Haven't purchased from them but there's enough talk about sketchy practices that I will continue that practice. I usually send my ebay business to respected folks like Pipestud.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Closed at the request of the OP.

Posted 2 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, supdog, georged, jfred, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969