PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Mary Tyler Moore just died. A little humor to honor a very humorous woman.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
And now begins the long slog of "I hate 2017, hasn't it taken enough"??
Back on topic. I really enjoyed her as an actress......good stuff......RIP

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
"Ohhhh, Rob!"

"Ohhh, Mr Grant!"

We lost another one of the great ones.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015

I'm feeling much more morbid about this year. A kind of "have at it" air of nonchalance. She was a great talent for sure and did some groundbreaking comedy. RIP

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016

That's why I go with the gallows humor. I give the person due respect and thanks for the entertainment, but don't really dwell on the negative.

Example: 2016 was great. My children and I woke up breathing every day. I will miss some of the show folk who I respected/liked, but life goes on. I hope that when I die, my friends and family can make jokes about my bonehead moments and get a chuckle from my life. That will be the greatest tribute I could ever wish for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A wonderful spritely comedic actor, the perfect counterpoint to Ed Asner, but also an amazing serious actor as in "Ordinary People," like a different person. Now that's acting. Brilliant. She suffered from Type 1 diabetes her whole life, thin as a rail as victims often are, but she lived an average life span. Brava for a great woman of the screen.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
And now begins the long slog of "I hate 2017, hasn't it taken enough
Maybe because the great ones passing away aren't being replaced with new great ones?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I just watched a special on pioneers of sitcoms the other night and she was featured. The Dick van Dyke show set the pattern for sitcoms of the 70's and beyond.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The "great" ones of our/your generation are not the younger generation's "great" ones. They have their own. Ours can't be replaced because we are no longer as naive and in need of "heroes." Two of mine are still living. One no longer performing, the other still soldiering along. Not for long though I fear.
Mary Tyler Moore was a trend setter and a very accomplished actress and businesswoman. Her work for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, she was diagnosed as a diabetic her early thirties, is something I admire greatly. I think she lived a somewhat difficult life well, very well! She achieved the stardom she so avidly sought, the recognition she deserved and gave back to her fans and, more importantly, to kids who never saw her on the screen. Rest in peace spunky lady!

Jan 8, 2013
Maybe because the great ones passing away aren't being replaced with new great ones?
And that's what makes their passing hit so much harder. The celebrities leaving us recently had class. Most of those now under the age of 40 and some in their 50s wouldn't know class if it hit them upside the head. I can think of a few, but not many.
Mary Tyler Moore, rest in peace.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
You forget how old some of these folks are because you think of them from seeing their tv shows over and over again and they are frozen in time. The colorized Dick van Dyke episode that was on CBS a few weeks ago was fun to watch. Even my 9 year old enjoyed it. Good jokes and storyline without the worry of being inappropriate for the kids.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Wasn't that an amazing job of colorization? And "Laura Petrie" was featured in both of them. I think she was the first "sexy" mom in a sitcom and those slacks she wore back then were almost scandalous for the times!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Most of her "talent" was being surrounded by truly talented comedic actors. VanDyke, Amsterdam, Rose Marie, Asner, Knight, Leachman, Harper, White...they were the heart and soul of those shows. I'm sorry she's gone. She spent most of her adult life in precarious health, it's amazing she lived as long as she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.