PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waywardverve

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Hi all!!

Today I bring to you all my completed first attempt at pipe making!
1378017_774006709280615_1779344640_n.jpg

She was carved from the branch of a white oak in my yard (Australia would you believe!).

As a complete noob to both pipe making AND pipe smoking in general I knew there was no hope for me to make my own stem so I set out and ordered a briarworks forever stem and drill/adjusted the mortise to fit.
Is she pretty?
P.S:edit: Also she smokes well... though only has a small somewhat conical bowl with a short smoke.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That's cool! I like the little "feet"! I like to make pipes out of different woods.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forums sir.
That is a great job for a first shot, and with a knife to boot. I look forward to seeing your progression since I am more than positive that this won't be your last

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a lot of labor and a lot of learning curve. Congratulations. You're on your way.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome and I admire your persistence to make a pipe with a knife, congrats she is a unique pipe to say the least but I like, good first pipe.

~Ron

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
A damn sight better job than I could have done ... I couldn't even make a decent pine wood derby car for my kid when he was in Cub Scouts ...
Two thoughts ... one, if it smokes well, it's a good pipe ... and two, you're going to learn from doing, so don't give up your efforts ... I'd love to have some semblance of wood working skill and make my own pipe ... somehow, in my case, I think it'd turn out to look a lot like that old pine wood derby car with a bore in it and a stem fitted on like a tail pipe ...

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Pretty cool for a whittled pipe. Looks like something a hobbit would carve too, but he'd have a wooden stem :)
What do you smoke in it?

waywardverve

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Wow I didn't expect quite this much positive feedback :P I thought the pipe was a little bit quaint for that :D...
I have a second pipe carved with a straight 5" ebonite stem on the way which I will post when the stem arrives. The second pipe was less about carving a shape and more about stripping excess from the woods already pipe-ready contours.
Thanks a tonne all who have taken part!!
Edit: question: I used Kiwi shoe polish for stain... correct move? (taking location into consideration)

Status
Not open for further replies.