PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Glad you guys are enjoying it, and/or at least willing to give it a try. To me, as a fan of the original canon, I haven't been able to enjoy any Sherlock Holmes re-boot not set in the Victorian era. The setting is too integral to the characters for me; when it comes to Holmes and Watson, the times defined the men.

Dec 28, 2015
I am currently finishing up season 2 and really enjoying it. Need to hurry up and get through season 3 so I. And be ready for season 4 when it begins.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I watched episode 1 of season 1 today. I really liked it. Hated the nicotine patches, because he still could have smoked a pipe, just not "everywhere".

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
ashdigger I remember when season 1 had just come out, and I was also disappointed by the lack of a pipe (though I think the nicotine patch was a clever twist). Around that time I read an interview with Mark Gatiss, discussing how they'd adapted the character from victorian to modern-day London, and, amongst other things, he said "For instance, Sherlock's 34, he can't smoke a pipe!"
... which I found particularly insulting, since at the time I was... 34 :mrgreen:
Oh well. I liked that they eventually managed to work the pipe in, if only for one episode :puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Top by a large margin is Jeremy Brett (in the first installment, not the resurrected one when his health had declined severely). Second is Rathbone (just his portrayal, not the Hollywood scripts). I haven't seen this new version but like most incarntions of classics designed to attract today's generation who has little knowledge and respect for them, I have my doubts I'd like it. Downy's movie portrayal made me want to heave.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I just watched the new episode...nice mix of Ian Fleming espionage with Conan Doyle mystery. I did catch an insult to electronic smokes in there.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
As much as I like the cast of this modern version of Doyle's characters, I agree aldecaker; I typically find the late Victorian setting is for me, an integral part of the Holmes's stories. I watched and enjoyed the 'Abominable Wife' episode - set as it was in the 19th-century. Reading this thread has me thinking that perhaps I should give this series a chance.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
No spoilers for those who haven't watched it yet.
I found it to be an odd pace and more disjointed than previous seasons. And while it was haphazard in the treatment of the main plot and left some voids it failed to really deliver on the Moriarty question the program description led me to expect.
The question now is how the next episode resolves the issues created with the first episode.
Time to smoke a bowl and contemplate the episode more.

Status
Not open for further replies.