PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Here are my pipe notes for the last 12 Sherlock Holmes short stories.
These are stories 45-56 of the cannon and were published in the Strand Magazine between 1921 and 1927. They were later published in the collection "The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes".
40 of the 56 short stories mention pipe smoking.
The Adventure of the Illustrious Client

-“Don’t you smoke? Then you will excuse me if I light my pipe. If your man is more dangerous than the late Professor Moriarty, or than the living Colonel Sebastian Moran, then he is indeed worth meeting.”

-“Put my pipe on the table—and the tobacco-slipper.”
The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier

-“I lit my pipe and leaned back in my chair.” (this story is written by Holmes himself)

-“He was smoking a pipe and reading a paper.”
The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

-“He looked round him at the scientific charts upon the wall, the acid-charred bench of chemicals, the violin-case leaning in the corner, the coal-scuttle, which contained of old the pipes and tobacco.”

-“You have not, I hope, learned to despise my pipe and my lamentable tobacco? It has to take the place of food these days.”
The Adventure of the Three Gables

-“had just settled me into the well-worn low armchair on one side of the fire, while he had curled down with his pipe in his mouth upon the opposite chair…….Holmes raised his pipe with a languid smile.”

-“Holmes knocked out the ashes of his pipe with a quiet chuckle.”
The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire

X
The Adventure of the Three Garridebs

-“Holmes had lit his pipe, and he sat for some time with a curious smile upon his face…..Holmes took his pipe from his lips.”
The Problem of Thor Bridge

-“There you have it, said Sherlock Holmes, knocking out the ashes of his after-breakfast pipe and slowly refilling it.”

-“Holmes smiled languidly and reached out his hand for his pipe…..Our visitor made a noisy exit, but Holmes smoked in imperturbable silence with dreamy eyes fixed upon the ceiling.”

-“Late that evening, as we sat together smoking our pipes in the village inn”
The Adventure of the Creeping Man

-“the violin, the shag tobacco, the old black pipe”

-“When I arrived at Baker Street I found him huddled up in his armchair with updrawn knees, his pipe in his mouth and his brow furrowed with thought.”

-“He had refilled his pipe and resumed his seat, taking no notice of my comment.”
The Adventure of the Lion’s Mane

X
The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger

-“That was how I came into the matter, for he dropped in and smoked a pipe or two over it.”
The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place

-“Holmes sat for some time in silent thought. He had lit the oldest and foulest of his pipes.”
The Adventure of the Retired Colourman

-“Holmes lay with his gaunt figure stretched in his deep chair, his pipe curling forth slow wreaths of acrid tobacco”

Status
Not open for further replies.