PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Here are my pipe notes for 20 more Sherlock Holmes short stories.
These are stories 25-44 of the cannon and were mostly published in the Strand Magazine between 1903 and 1917. They were later published in the collections "The Return of Sherlock Holmes" and "His Last Bow".
The Adventure of the Empty House

-“the violin-case, and the-pipe rack--even the Persian slipper which contained the tobacco--all met my eyes as I glanced round me.”
The Adventure of the Norwood Builder

X
The Adventure of the Dancing Men

X
The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist

-“as he pulled at his meditative pipe”

-“so you can put that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. Busybody Holmes!”
The Adventure of the Priory School

-“he began to smoke over it, and occasionally to point out objects of interest with the reeking amber of his pipe.”

-“At this point, where my pipe is now resting”

-“where a squat, dark, elderly man was smoking a black clay pipe.”
The Adventure of Black Peter

-“what do you make of that tobacco pouch.....It was the man’s own pouch, sir. His initials were inside it. And it was of sealskin…..But he had no pipe. No, sir, we could find no pipe. Indeed, he smoked very little, and yet he might have kept some tobacco for his friends.

-“There was this tobacco-pouch upon the table…..There was half an ounce of strong ship’s tobacco in it.”

-“Like a fool I left my baccy-pouch upon the table…..A very clear statement, said Holmes, rising and lighting his pipe…..the sealskin tobacco-pouch with the course tobacco…..he seldom smoked and no pipe was found in his cabin.”
The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton

-“A little later a rakish young workman, with a goatee beard and a swagger, lit his clay pipe at the lamp before descending to the street. “I’ll be back some time Watson” said he, and vanished into the night.”

-“We had breakfasted and were smoking our morning pipe on the day after the remarkable experience”
The Adventure of the Six Napoleons

X
The Adventure of the Three Students

X
The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez

X
The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter

-“and when his needs were satisfied and his pipe alight he was ready”
The Adventure of the Abbey Grange

-“He had lit his pipe and held his slippered feet to the cheerful blaze of the fire.”

-“Holmes smoked for some time in silence.”
The Adventure of the Second Stain

-“Holmes lit his pipe in silence and sat for some time in the deepest thought.…..and laid his pipe down upon mantelpiece.”
The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge

-“he stood in front of the fire afterwards with a thoughtful face, smoking his pipe”

-“Odds and ends, some pipes, a few novels”

-“A chaotic case, my dear Watson, said Holmes over an evening pipe.”
The Adventure of the Red Circle

X
The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans

-“Holmes sat up at attention, his pipe halfway to his lips.”
The Adventure of the Dying Detective

-“I came to the mantelpiece. A litter of pipes, tobacco-pouches, syringes, penknives, revolver-cartridges, and other debris was scattered over it.”
The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax

X
The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot

-“shortly after our breakfast hour, as we were smoking together, preparatory to our daily excursion upon the moors……Holmes took his pipe from his lips and sat up in his chair”

-“I think, Watson, that I shall resume that course of tobacco-poisoning which you have so often and justly condemned….He sat coiled in his armchair, his haggard and ascetic face hardly visible amid the blue swirl of tobacco smoke, his black brows drawn down, his forehead contracted, his eyes vacant and far away. Finally he laid down his pipe and sprang to his feet.”

-“Holmes lit his pipe and handed me his pouch.”
His Last Bow: An Epilogue of Sherlock Holmes

X

Status
Not open for further replies.