PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I just got done reading House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz and while I was initially skeptical that it could come close to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fantastic stories of our favorite Consulting Detective, I was pleasantly surprised how well it had been done. The style of writing is very close to what Doyle wrote, and the plot is just as convoluted, if not more so. So if you're in the market for a new book, I recommend this one.
-Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the review. I'm a hihe Holmes fan. In fact, Holmes is responsible for me taking up the pipe in the first place. Will definitely add it to my Kindle.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
So we've got two excellent Sherlock Holmes mainstream hollywood movies, a new BBC TV series, and now a new novel, all in the past three years.
This is actually pretty interesting, I found regarding House of Silk:
For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.
That's a long time of saying "no" to potential publishers/authors to now allow a new one. That's pretty cool.
Is that women featured in this story?
First book in all this time? She's gotta be.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Nope. "The Woman" doesn't appear in this novel at all although Watson's wife, Mary does. I think the reason why the Doyle Estate waited so long was they were making money off the stories until they came into the public domain. After that, they couldn't enforce copyright anymore and needed some fresh money... Hence my skepticism of the quality.
-Jason

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I'm a few chapters into this now, and the author does quite good work in staying to Doyle's style I think.
Now to see if the plot is equally appealing. :puffy:

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Excellent to hear! I can never get enough of Sherlock Holmes (the real Holmes, not the contemporary version). Hopefully, I'll find it for Kindle.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Yeah the mainstream Hollywood version ... is barely comparable to the stories.
Wanted to post that House of Silk is shaping up to be a very true to the original theme rendition. I'm about a third of the way into it.
If I didn't know this was written by another author and only just recently, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Hmmm, I will have to check it out. I am a HUGE Holmes fan. Thanks for the information and review, dude!
And if anyone bookworm here is a horror/zombie fan, may I suggest Timeslinger: Rise of the Aeronauts vol 1 by Ryan Miller, available at Amazon for $2.99. It's a pretty good steampunk/zombie/horror mix. In the interest of fairness, I did edit and ghost-write parts of volume 1 and collaborated with Ryan, so I'm a bit biased.
Here's the link for it, and if anyone on the Forums is offended by my shameless self-promotion, I do apologize. Not here to offend anyone, unless they deserve to be offended :P
http://www.amazon.com/Timeslinger-Rise-Aeronauts-Book-ebook/dp/B009ZFOVOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352157332&sr=1-1

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
This book was great, and if I remember correctly it is one of the few, if not only book to be approved by the Doyle estate. if your looking for another good Holmes story I would recommend. Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
eh, rondyr, I'm not offended, but I'm pretty sure the moderators will find that against the forum rules.
So I take it this Dust and Shadow novel is "unapproved" by Doyle's descendants?

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Zanthal,

"Approved" was the wrong term, I should of said endorsed. , I just know that the Doyle estate endorsed House of silk, and that many sherlockians were surprised because this was unheard of. However looking into this again I do see that Leslie S. Klinger noted that Faye's novel Dust and Shadow and Carr’s The Italian Secretary were also given the honors of being endorsed my the Doyle estate.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Believe it or not, there have been a couple of Sherlock-themed anthologies that were really, really good over the past few years: The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and the Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures. Both are available in paperback or Kindle through Amazon, and both are excellent. Not every short story is top-notch, of course (they are anthologies, after all) but they are superb collections, nonetheless.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Did the author correctly set this story before Holmes goes over the falls in The Final Problem, because Mary passed away during Holmes' escapade throughout Europe before returning to London and meeting up with Watson again after his showdown with Moriarty. By that time Watson had remarried.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Ahhhhh, well, I'd edit it but it won't let me now. I certainly won't be offended if a Mod deletes it; still new here and learning the rules. :)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Actually, there's no harm in a link like the one above. If it were to his eBay store or his website which is devoted to selling his own Holmes stories, then it'd be breaking the rules as I see them, although this isn't directly stated in the rules as such. Anyway, in my book, you're OK!
-Jason

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Back on topic with House of Silk ... I finished it yesterday and it had an ending I would not have predicted, in more ways than one.
The plot took some turns, it's a great book.

Status
Not open for further replies.