PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
I have read some members referring to their tobacco cellar. Would I be correct to assume that means it has a pretty long shelf life? Forgive me I am a real. Newbie

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Take a look at this article and this one. It should give you an idea on storage and aging. The simple answer would probably be that you could store it as long as you long as long as it is done properly.
Welcome to the forum. Take a look around there are some great articles, and if you search past post there is a ton of information there too.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tre123:
This is the best place in the world for posting NFG - New F*cking Guy - questions. The people here are the most unpretentious, anti-snobs on the Net and only get opinionated when a newb shows his ass. Ask honest questions and you'll be the lucky recipient of many heartfelt responses. (If you follow up on them all, some of the answers will send you retching for the toilet bowl, but opinions are like assholes and bellybuttons, right?)
Welcome aboard, Friend-o. Check your ego at the door and fire away. There are no sides to take - just good people passionate about their likes and dislikes. Start sampling and plot you own course. I can promise you that you'll enjoy the ride.
The journey is the reward.
Fnord

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I plan on starting to store a load tobacco the info talks of Qt size jars i'm thinking of over 10lbs of my favs by Dec 31st do you think half gallons jars are a good idea for this amount's of tobacco? I get the jars at a rather good price as I work at a Hardware store. Let me know what you all think

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
85royals: Or should I call you George? I suspect it's not the size of the jar that would be an issue but rather the type of lid. The mason-type (two piece) lids with the rubber gasket are the ones that you want. I've never heard or read anything about the size of the jar being an issue.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Tre: Welcome aboard ! No dumb questions here.

You can find tins that are decades old out on the interweb on occasion... proves tobacco can keep for a long time if done right.
85Royals: A half gallon jar would hold close to 16 Oz. of tobacco. That's 8 tins worth in a jar. Remember that as soon as you open the jar, the seal would be broken and you would either have to start smoking the contents or re-pack it in another airtight container. And 16 Oz. of tobacco is quite a lot. I personally use the quart-size ones, which fit about 6 to 8 Oz. and even pint sized ones for smaller quantities.
Good luck.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 Mick
If you're looking to get some nice aging on a blend then you wouldn't want to store in HUMUNGOUS jars. Because once you crack it open to get a to your leaf you've interupted the process. Which is why most keep their bulk in many mid-sized jars.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
All different shapes and sizes here. Pint, quart, mini, tupperware containers are great as well. I have about 52 blends on the go and opened. Some I like drier than others (almost but not quite crispy) You will find your groove as you progress into the wonderful addiction of tobacco.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Under the proper condition any pipe tobacco can last decades. I found a 35 year old tin that was like new when I opened it. I also found that it is handy to have a spray bottle with distilled water in it for when the tobacco feels like it is getting too dry for your preference.

Welcome aboard and have fun here.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I have added up a lot of numbers in my head and on paper today the best way to go I think is QT size jars I can get a minimum of 24 QT mason jars in a 18gal tote.. I have decided to start a aggressive Cellar/Storage plan like I said I want 10lbs of my Fav a Dunnhill 965 match from my local B&M and at least as much of the Aro they have called Top Soil.. Also want to keep this up for as long as the price stays affordable for me.. concidering I only smoke maybe 10 bowls in a week and that's a bigger week I hope that those and the other odds and ends I pick up will last me for a long time

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
85, be careful about stocking up so much right away. Your tastes will probably change a bit and you might find that something you like now, just doesn't do it for you 5 years from now. I would still sample different categories i.e va flakes, vaper and vaper flakes, english blends from different house and some aromatics. You will be amazed at how many great blends there are out there, and you don't want to be locked into just a couple. Just my two cents.
tre123, welcome to the site and like has been suggested above, read all you can.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
85, be careful about stocking up so much right away. Your tastes will probably change a bit and you might find that something you like now, just doesn't do it for you 5 years from now
This is so true. And aromatics do not especially cellar well. :puffy:

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I have always gone back to my 965 so that's my big one as far as Aro just a bit of the Top Soil a pound of Capt. Black and I will keep searching for the good Balkan and English that I love.. What if any thing has anyone heard on this supper high tax increase.. I want to keep by buying to bulk its just a better value for me

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
If you're thinking of storing "unopened tins" you might bear in mind that vacuum sealed tins may not age as gracefully as one might expect.

Non-vacuum sealed tins by definition have a small amount of air in them and the aging process can proceeded... gracefully.
In a like vein, a tightly packed jar won't age as gracefully as one filled loosely.

IMHO... YMMV
:puffy:

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Today I start with canning a pound of Dunhill 965 hand half a pound of a local aro Top soil nest week half a pound of Capt. Black

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
480716_401661766558696_380883659_n.jpg
This is the start of my storage plan I have at least a pound and a half of Dunhill 965, 9 tins of Villager Mid Day & 2 pint jars of Billy Bud that is just some of what I have I hope to expand this almost 10 fold by the end of the year other blends and such.. This is just a start

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Today if the tracking thing is right I will add half a pound of Capt. Black white and 4oz of Newminster English Luxus from Pipesandcigars.com so my storage is getting larger

Has any one tried any of the Newminster blends? they are not listed on tobaccoreview.com or I couldn't find them any ways

Status
Not open for further replies.