PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
There are lots of people who like the water. They like swimming, boating, fishing, or just watching the waves crash against the shore, and that’s great. But it ain’t for me.
I’d rather be deep in the woods, hiking, searching, listening to the wind blow through the trees, smelling the pine, or the wetness of the dew in the early morning.
We have a pool in our back yard. A 27 foot round, above ground. In thirty years I’ve been in that pool maybe 10 times. My wife loves it. Nor do I sit on the deck over looking the pool. I usually sit on the front porch with a pipe in a hand.
So my wife says to me.
“Lets go to the Lake and sit by the water.”
I said NO.
She asked why.
I said, “because it’s boring.”
She said. “but I like the water.”
I said. “Then you go.”
She said. “When was the last time we did that?”
I said. “Can’t remember, and don’t care. If I wanted to sit by the water I’d pull up a chair in front of our pool.”
She said. “Your not normal.”

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Dude I'm right there with you. Water is boring. Id much rather be 100 yards deep in the woods. Don't listen to her, she's the one that's not normal...

There's beach people and then there's mountain/woodland people. I like both, but I cannot get my wife to go to the beach at all. We had to cancel a sailing trip to Hawaii because she adamantly DID NOT want to be on the water. She has never even owned a bathing suit. But, I still take my kids to the beach every year, by myself. But, I respect her for her preference for the mountains. She was born and raised on the mountains, and when we met, she made it clear that she is a mountain girl. So, I get to hang out with girls in bikinis without the wife. :::sigh::: not, ha ha!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I love water, but only when I'm thirsty. I'm in the mountain camp also. I'll take Montana over Florida any day!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
When I was 19 (44 years ago) I lived in Orlando, the year Disney World opened. I absolutely DESPISE humidity. Never ever ever again. Hell with a bunch of Snow Bunnies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Its not about the water, its about doing something she likes with her, suck it up and go with her, just dont forget the pipe

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Of course you're normal. Still, I suspect she's not really talking about the water. She's talking about doing something she likes, together . . . with you. I cannot do such things any longer. My advise if to, "suck it up and do it once in while." I find, looking back, I was more selfish than I really intended to be.
edit: pagan posted while I typed. His advise is excellent.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
There seem to be a few who think I don't do things with my wife that she wants to do. WRONG!
I watch "The Housewives of NJ" with her. I watch, "The Guiding Light", with her. I watch, "Dirty Dancing" with her. I think we have watched that movie 1,872 times.
I also go and pick apples with her. I'd rather buy them from the market.

I have sat through dinner dates with her friends. I'd rather have a root canal.

I spend time with her and her mother when she asks. That's like having a bad bout of constipation.

We just went to Florida. Which she wanted to do. And she knows I HATE FLORIDA. TOO HUMID!

I eat her cooking without complaining.

I clean the house when she tells me to.

I paint the house when she tells me to.

I remodeled the family room because she wanted it done.

And...I bought her a new car when she told me to.
I've paid the dues to say. "NO. I don't wanna go sit and watch water beat against the shore."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Well then, you deserve a little "me time" now and then. Good on you!
Me? I live in the mountains and love the big water when I get around it. A big, Atlantic storm off the coast of Co. Mayo is my idea of a great time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mountain boy here, give me a forest over a lake any day. The smell of moss, wet bark, and decaying needles on the forest floor are heaven to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't love sitting on a beach, but can tolerate it for an hour or so. I'd rather be on the water, sailing or motoring. I love views, be they mountain or seaside. Too bad I live in a spot that doesn't really have views of either, but I don't see other houses, just trees and more trees, not the idyllic kind, not forests or woods, but miles of orchards, almonds, walnuts, pistachios.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I'm a water guy myself. I love being near it, on it, in it. I like the ocean, the lake, heck I even like rivers and creeks. The one thing I don't like about the water is just hanging out on the beach. Walking along the shore is wonderful, I'm always up for fishing and I'll even swim with the sharks but, just sitting on the beach stewing in your own juices...bleh.
I like the mountains and the woods just fine as well but give me some water and I'm happy. Luckily my wife also loves the water so we have at least that in common.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Give me a river in the mountains. If you toss in a few small trout in that river I am in heaven.
For about 2 weeks. Then I need amine concrete and steel!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
There seem to be a few who think I don't do things with my wife that she wants to do. WRONG!
Hope yo didnt take my words wrong, when I read your post I thought of the movie "the breakup" with Jenifer Aniston, have you seen that one, anyway they had the argument about doing the dishes and her point was she wanted him to "want to do the dishes". women are strange creatures, sometimes you just have to play the game and find a way to make it work for you

Mar 1, 2014
When it's 30 degrees below freezing, Water is Death.

Actually it would probably be a close match between a Grizzly and a pool as to which one would kill you faster.

But forget pools, just a bit of damp clothing can be fatal.
Also I hate being in the sun, I get sunstroke very easily, not to mention the burning. My body wasn't made for this.

It's best to hibernate during the summer.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
they had the argument about doing the dishes and her point was she wanted him to "want to do the dishes".
Most decent men will do the dishes when their wife asks for it, some will even do them without the request.

I think what you mean, what she means (in the movie) is something "I want you to want to do it, because I need to see that you want my happiness by wanting to help" I don't think she expects men to want AND ENJOY doing it, but to the least, find pleasure in the fact the we are alleviating some of the wife house chores burden. In that sense, we should "want to do it", it makes us happy to make them happy, hence, being proactive about it.
It's not about the thing (dishes, being by the pool, going for a lunch with the mother in law), it might not even be about the fact of being together. It's on higher degree than that, it's about placing her in the center of attention, wanting to make her happy, ergo doing this she wants us to do HAPPILY

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Me? I love the beach! Something about gazing into that horizon and watching the waves crash........ mesmerizing for me.

I grew up in Ohio, was in the woods all the time as a 'ute.......... Both are wonderful, but nowadays, give me that song of the Ocean, LOVE IT!!.......... :puffy:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I grew up 2 blocks back from the pacific ocean in New Zealand, the beach is my favourite neighbour. I also love getting into the forest though, I guess when you live on an island you dont need to choose one over the other, everything is close by.
As a side note, a pipe smoking forum is one of the very last places I would check for 'normal' people ha!
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.