PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
pLQxjsT.jpg

Calamity will be 21 years old this Fall. In tractor years that’s about 110 years old. She’s on her death bed now. After two engines, and a ton of fixed, broken, and worn out parts I have to put her away.
I‘ll be taking her to her final resting place at the scrap yard. She’s too tired, and worn out for anyone to fix her up. She needs an overhaul. Her engine stops and sputters like a diseased heart. Her carburetor is like a bad kidney. Her tires are old and can no longer hold air to support her. They remind me of a pair of bad knees. Calamity’s axel is broken, and her gas tank leaks like an old bladder. It breaks my heart thinking about her problems. But I don’t want her to go through the pain of a complete overhaul.
Anyway, before she’s laid to rest I made arrangements with the scrapper to remove any part that could help another riding mower. I know Calamity would want that.
And even if only something as simple as one of her bolts is inserted into another rider, that means Calamity will live on.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
It's so wonderful that you've made her an organ donor. So many tractors on the waiting list for parts.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Looking good there Frank. I have a green one about that old, and it's hood hinge broke too. I replaced it (the hinge) then the steering got so worn it wouldn't turn. Now I have the next generation of the same mower.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Omg that almost made me tear up! You certainly deserve a nice new mower, since you take such good care of them! Rip calamity!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love keeping things until you just can't. I had a 30 year old Sear snowblower that my father gave me, you can still get parts for it. I acquired a bigger blow from my father and gave it to a buddy, who still uses it for his small driveway.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mighty fine machine. Keep her portrait in a frame. You've put a lot of heart in that fine old rig.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Condoleances ... I used to help my grandma mow her lawn on a machine just like that when I was younger. I loved it because I didn't have my driving license yet but still could drive "something", very exciting, lots of good memories.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I have a 20 year old weed eater that I've got held together with tape. I hope it never dies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hahaha! My wife likes to mow. I don't let her use the electric hedge trimmer anymore, after going through two extension cords in the same ten minutes...
And indianafrank, I wanted to know what the next mower would be, not the next thing your going to ride! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.