PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Shawn just sent me two of his latest and here are my thoughts.
The first one I tried is a va flake that he topped with some honey and some citrus. it starts out nice and sweet and builds nicely. It has some nice nose to it and it really smoked well after a little drying.The citrus really started coming through after the first third and stayed with me to the end. I think with some more age this will get rounded out and be a great blend.
The second one is a VA plug that also is very tasty. It is a sweet va and stays like that most of the way down. It got stronger the more I smoked and stayed sweet to the bottom, it got a little harsh at the end but nothing some age won't cure. This is a nice easy going va that could be an all day smoke. I honestly believe that Shawn has a future as a blender, once he gets some better tools and has the ability to age some tobacco, he will be going places. Thanks again Shawn for letting me try your creations, it is an honor to do so.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I honestly believe that Shawn has a future as a blender
+1 If he can get some equipment and training as a tobbaconist, he will go far. For anyone who missed it, I did a video review of his creation "Baron Samedi Midnight Plug".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV56T7RmkQc

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Thanks fellas. I have some walls I hit, but I think I found a way over them. It is a bit costly, but since Harris sent me all that tobacco, I don't need to spend my monthly tobacco allowance and that frees up the extra money for aged tobacco. I have been using fresh tobacco from this years crop. The big boys are using tobacco from '09, '10 and '11. Those years of age are what take the bitterness and harshness out of the smoke. I have half of the makings for some BSMP including a pound of some 2 year old Box Turkish that I think will be better than the original oriental that was in the original BSMP. I have the dark fired too. Now i need to get a pound of aged Virgina and some Latakia. I believe I found a source for both of these in aged whole leaf form. The catch is that it is 3x what I was paying for the fresh stuff. I put my priorities in order and have bought my kids Christmas, so I will have the funds to start blending again next week. I am excited to see how this next generation of plugs comes out. I will be doing a new and improved BSMP and a VaPer plug. I expect both of them to be on par with what the big blenders are putting out. Guess we will see in the next couple of weeks. If I am making pretty good product with inferior material, then I should be able to make great product with the material that I get from the big boys:)

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
This is very impressive. Congrats indeed. Something I have tried/thought about doing tons, I am happier to leave it to you pros and smoke your results.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
When you start your own line you are gona call it "Knucklehead" tobacco right? :nana:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
May want to consider getting with a local B&M and seeing if they will put it in the shop for sampling by pipe smokers. sometimes you may have to start off by giving your stuff away to get people to pay for it. Sucks, but just the way it might be for a short period. after good reviews and people testing it, sell it on the cheap on consignment at the shop making sure you can give the owner a small cut and make enough to continue buying aged leaf and producing. just my thoughts. and if you are able to make it up on december 1st you will be required to bring some with you :rofl:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Of course I will Hawk. I'll probably just bring it all. The good, the bad, and the ugly, and give it all away. lol I have something up my sleeve to get the ball rolling. So far, the only thing that is good enough for retail is the Baron Samedi Midnight Flake. Only because it doesn't have as much Virginia. The Virginia is the only leaf that really requires aging. If I had been working with aged Virginias the whole time, I would already have my permit to process tobacco and there would be people blowing up my email for product. The past is not a complete loss because I have learned exponentially what to do and what not to do and why. I'll just call it practice. Now that I got a connection for grade A aged virginia leaf, I am going to make my sample product, get it reviewed, get my permit, and start selling. I really enjoy making it. It is a lot like cooking. Time will tell if I can ever make it. If not, I had a hell of a good time doing it :puffy:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
great attitude. hopefully you can make it up on the 1st. i look forward to meeting you.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It will take time. Pipeinhand has 20 years experience and Russ O. has even more than that. Have patience and hang on through the tough spots and one day your name will be among theirs when people talk tobacco.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Under 2 months now! Still packed in jars and sealed inside a box and protected from light and heat. 12/21/12 It sees the light again!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Not yet. I'm making 4 lbs of it and it's aging right now. I'll post an announcement when its ready. It will probably go for $4.50 an oz, shipping included his paypal.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I know you have a sample of that Miskatonic with my name on it. I think you may have given me some with the first package you gave me, but I didn't know it was your blend and payed it forward without even trying it. I read about it in the original thread and am dying to try it. It dabbles into all the tobacco domains. Sound very interesting.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
sounds like quite the smoking experience keep up all the great experiments, and im sure they will turn into something wonderful for us to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.