PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just got a couple of very interesting packages in the mail. Several of Shawn's (Shawn622) plugs and flakes. Like me, he's just recently started messing with his own blends. Unlike me, He has on his own figured out how to press his own flakes and plugs.
I started an additional thread because even though I haven't even smoked them yet, I think they are amazing! They look and smell incredible! I can't wait to break me off a chunk and start smoking.
Several of us are aware of Shawn's struggles in the world recently and I recall advising him that if he was the best at what he used to do, then he can be the best at whatever he decides to do in this phase of his life. After looking at these creations I am proud to say "I was right"!
Seriously, somebody needs to apprentice this guy and get him some formal training as a tobacconist. I have my own little blend but in Shawn I see 100x the potential that I see in myself. Whoever decides to bring him on, train him and put him to work will not be disappointed. My advice now for Shawn is to bite into this like a pit bull and don't let go.
He may be a knucklehead, but there is a blending badass lurking below the surface. If he sticks with this, he will go far and 5 or 10 years down the road someone will look at this old post and say, "You called it, Baron". Thanks for the samples, brother! A review will be forthcoming next time I get the chance to smoke.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That really amazes me! Great post Baron. Great work Shawn! I love the name Shawn O'Day Plug! Not sure if O'day is your last name but it has a great ring to it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Alright Shawn! Pretty cool. I wouldn't know where to begin doing my own flakes and plugs.

Jul 15, 2011
Im curious as to where you guys get your raw ingredient leaves to make your own blends? I would love to try my hand at making a burley blend but I dont really know a good source to get pure blending tobaccos from. I wish the fusion lab was still up because that was about the most comprehensive ingredient catalog I could find, but I cant find it anywhere on the P&C website anymore.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Baron, I agree 100% with what you said. I have a bunch of his plugs and so far I am very impressed, he definitely has a future if he keeps developing at the pace he is.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Baron man. Na.. Clint brother. You honestly brought tears to my eyes. I haven't had anyone believe in my for so long I forgot how it felt. IT FEELS AMAZING!!!!!!! THANKS A LOT MAN!!!!!! You too Cigrmaster!!! With that I am off to press this Navy Flake creation. I cased it this morning and had a wonderful day at a family reunion. Its now ready for the press!!!!!!! I hope you like the "Baron Plug" It is my finest creation to date. The others need time. Thanks for your support. I hope to be something someday, because up until lately I was a big 0.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
What's the plan for these? I hope to see myself in 30 or 40 years smoking these fine plugs and telling my grandkids about the fine gentleman who makes them.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Not as much as I hope so Brewshooter :D And Baron, The name of the Balkan plug is totally up to you. When you introduce it with a review, we will all know the name. I just ordered more Latakia and Yenidje Oriental in anticipation of your liking it. It will be the only one I can sell straight out of the press!!!!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
...because up until lately I was a big 0.
Nah, man. No one is a big 0. Not to sound cheesy, but people just need to find what they love and realize their motivations and then the sky is the limit (unless you're an astronaut :wink: ).
I'm really curious about this blend. I have to admit, when I read you were going to try blending after only smoking for a month or two, I was sceptical, but those flakes do look great! Keep on keepin' on! :clap:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Mick, I really was a 0. Sure, I had success as a High end painter and wood finisher, but I was in self distruct mode. I drank and drugged myself to near death. I was skeptical too. It is just a hobby, but I am very passionate about it and really enjoy it. I have no expectations, but I am aloud to dream. I would love to leave my boys a legacy. If I ever make it past home brewer, It will just be a big perk to something I already love to do. Thanks for the kind words!!!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Baron flake? Sounds great! A homeade plug from a member of the best tobacco forum, even better!!

Way to go Shawn!!! Look forward to sampling it!!

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
His last name is O'Day...great sounding plug name! Then there is the O'Day Kake he makes! :)

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Very awesome Shawn. I can't wait to buy a couple of tins. I think your reviews got me leaning towards favoring flakes. Can't wait to taste your creation.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
That's a lock Clint. I love it. I think it is going to stand out because of the super secret ingredient that I added that only you know about.
I love O'day sail boats. I grew up spending all my summers at lake Erie. When I was a kid I always got a kick out of seeing my last mame on those boats!!! I am going to ask target members to name the blends. Mrenglish don't know it yet, but I will ask him to name the VaPer flake, and Cigrmaster to name the sweet Virginia. I am asking Lawrence to name the aromatic Pralines and Cream flake I just cased. I'm probably going to give Carpenter Chris the navy flake to name. I went to press it earlier, but it was not dry enough from the casing this morning. I have the biggest expectations for it. I put the most time and effort into replicating MacBarens navy flake only this one has a little surprise.
Oh I hope this takes off. I just found out that since I use Whole leaf tobacco, I have to get a processors permit. I am calling TTB Monday because all I am doing is pressing cured and graded tobacco, not curing it myself. If I do this I have to go legit. The last thing I need is to find something I love to do and getting in trouble for doing it.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
BRAVO MAN!!!! My face hurts from smiling. Yea it is very wet. I told you in a later PM to let it dry, but I see that you were ahead of the game a little. I think on my next pressing I will go lighter on the Virginias and heavier on the oriental and dark fired. I am actually smoking it right now myself and I think It is not bad for an alpha project. It's no Black House, But I am no Russ Ouellett. Glad you like it, but when I fine tune it you will be proud to have your name on it!!!!!!!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I actually like the sweetness from the Virginia that's in there. I wouldn't add any more of the secret ingredient, either, because it's just enough!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Noted. If you think of anything you would like to make it a more taylor made blend, let me know. You can do the tin art in several years if I happen to get so lucky as to get picked up by C&D or McClelland. Yea right, in my dreams. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.