PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So, during a bit of PAD insanity, I picked up a tin of Erinmore Flake. Wanted to try something new, and must admit that the "Juicy Fruit" comparisons made it sound very attractive. Any thoughts, or further insight on this blend?

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Unfortunately, I haven't smoked the new iteration. I believe my last tin was around 2006. Juicy fruit was the scent that immediately came to mind upon opening the tin. The smoke itself was a bit harsh and acrid for my tastes, and I ended up sticking with Peterson's University Flake as my flavored flake of choice.
I've heard some smokers have taken to baking unopened tins of Erinmore in the oven at low temperatures to smooth out the profile a bit. I think there may have been a thread on that a while back...

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have to be in the right mood to smoke Erinmore Flake, but I do like it. It is quite moist out of the tin, so some drying time is needed unless you don't mind frequent re-lighting.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Definite time and place smoke. I try to keep some on hand so that when the mood hits I can satisfy it. I think it has taken me a year to go thru half a tin. Nothing else like it imo.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't get anything juicy fruit from it. It's more an apricot flavor with a bit of something else, almost lakeland urinal cake, but I like it.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Erinmore Flake is one of my favourite blends and no matter what artisan blends I smoke I always keep Erinmore as my main stalwart. I believe I read Erinmore is the biggest selling pipe tobacco blend in the world and I think there are reasons for that.
To me, the current version is not strongly flavoured at all. I see it really as a good Virginia/Burley, with only a touch of Anise and light fruit flavouring to enhance the natural tobacco tastes. The taste is primarily tobacco and I find it a really well-balanced blend that does not become boring. It is not too sweet or too dry-tasting; it's just a really nice balance. I get vivid, grassy virginia flavour with a satisfying body from the burley. A good amount of nicotine too - again, not like with aromatic blends.
Juicy fruit is completely missing the point, in my experience, although others may experience the taste differently to my palate.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
In terms of comparison, I find Erinmore Flake is rather like Reiner's Long Golden Flake. But I like Erinmore better and find that it is better balanced and does not tire my palate. Perhaps that's all the flavourings do in Erinmore - add a touch of sweetness and accentuate or add definition to the tobacco flavour, and make it so that you can smoke multiple bowls without tiring of it. Anyway, it is a truly good blend and not to be loooked down on as a low-quality or "OTC" kind of offering.
I'd also say, don't think of Erinmore Flake like a Royal Yacht or University Flake - those, to me, have much more fruity flavours and are bordering on aromatics. Erinmore isn't that at all.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Interesting.
I like Erinmore once in awhile. I personally think that it is more aromatic than RY, but about equal to University Flake. It really all depends on prep too. I tend to let Erinmore dry out to almost crispy before I smoke it. Usually at that point, much of the topping is gone.
Juicy Fruit? Yes, I think it has hints of it both in the smell and flavor... but that's just an association that I made at some point and can't seem to break. :crazy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried it in 2012 and as much as I like a sweet tobacco erinmore was over the top for me. I smoked a few bowls trying to like it, but just couldn't. I probaly should have put a few tins away for aging to see if the flavors toned down.

When I bake the tins or leave them in my car windshield for a full day in the ridiculously hot Alabama summer sun, the smell will overwhelm you. Bradly the Cajun compared it to pulling a fruitcake out of the oven. I think it smells more like pies baking. But, as mentioned, drying it to crispy and smoked slowly really brings out these strong fruity flavors. If you just fold and stuff a flake directly out of a fresh tin, you might as well be smoking a regular flake. You probably wont taste or smell anything. It is a weird bird on that matter.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I think it's great. I was lucky enough to score five tins from the back of a B & M's shelf. They were old and a little rusty, and as far as I could tell with a little research were circa 2005. Smooth as silk, deep, rich. For me it really packs a nic wallop, so it's a post dinner sit on my ass smoke. People always comment on the room note as something like "that's weird but I like it"

Mar 1, 2014
I bought some (flake) back in 2014 and it seemed pretty flat for an Aromatic. It could have been the tin, but we've got enough variety in opinion that I'm not going to bother trying again.
Compared with Ennerdale, Erinmore is a plain, no nonsense tobacco. Maybe that sounds obvious to some, but I like punchy Aromatics.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My Thoughts
The tin note for me is hands down, apricot. I let a single flake dry for an hour, lightly rubbed it out, and loaded it into an MM Mark Twain. From puff to snork, I get earthy-hay, with apricot and something floral, possibly hyacinth. I guess I fall into the love it camp, but plan on experimenting with different drying times, flake preparation and packing techniques to maximize the experience. Will definitely be adding this to my cellar. Thanks guys for all of the input!

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I like it. My tin is a couple of years old, and it had been baked in addition to that. I had smoked a couple of times out of it several weeks back. I couldn't remember any details other than it was a good tobacco taste with a slight topping smell/taste to it. Not necessarily Juicy Fruit to me, but maybe an apricot scent and taste is closer to it. I'm not real good at picking out different flavors. I just know if I like it or not, or how much. I smoked it again yesterday to refresh my memory. A pleasing smoke to me. I also have a six pack of this from 2001 that should be real fine. A good combination of Virginia and burley

It took me a while to "get" Erinmore. I will admit to smoking a tin of the mixture, an older version of the flake, and a new tin, before "bing" the lights went on. The taste rides in a different part of the taste. It's definately an obvious flavor. But, I was bound and determined to figure this one out, as it had been associated with so many literary geniuses like CS Lewis and such. But, now that I am familiar with the way the flavor "works" I taste it plain as day. It's like those stupid Magic-Eye posters that were in the malls in the 80's. I walked by those for years not seeing anything but dots of colors. Then when I figured out how to focus my eyes, I couldn't help seeing them everytime I looked at one.

I yhink baking them makes the flavor "easier" to taste though. YMMV

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
There are several recent versions of Erinmore.

erinmore-600x448.jpg

The older rectangle tin was a really good, darker, fully scented nicotine heavy smoke. It was one of my favorites. I think it was made by Orlik, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Before that it was a Murray's product I believe.
The current square tin is a nice mild virginia, but it does not have the character or strength of the older version.

erinmore1-600x448.jpg

benton-0813-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.