PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Thinking this could be an on-going thread, but who knows. Thinking we could share those special smoking moments when everything aligns perfectly. Talk about the tobacco you chose, the pipe, where you are, what you're doing, how this fantastic bowl was prepared, etc. I'll start.
I broke up a little more than a bowls worth of McClelland's Tudor Castle- a red VaPer with some Yenidje orientals, and allowed it to dry for about twenty minutes under a desk lamp. Loaded it into a Dr. Grabow Grand duke, and fired her up. Didn't need an immediate tamp, but after another twenty it puttered out. Tamped, relit, an it's been going strong for another good twenty. Perfect flavor, smooth as silk, and my bowl is pleasingly warm.
It's a partly cloudy day here in Iowa, at a quarter past noon, and I be watching my girlfriend vacuum our apartment. Also, I'm on my third cup of coffee. Just tamped for the second time, and expect to finish this bowl with minimal relights.
Cheers to a perfect smoking moment.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Several weeks ago I had a bowl of McClelland Blackwoods Flake. Don't know what about the stars was aligning, but that was the first time my taste buds positively exploded over a naturally sweet tobacco. My mouth watered, and it felt like sugar was coating my lips.
Haven't had that since.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I've mentioned before, I like to mix tobaccos (not exactly blend them, no aging or putting

the tobacco under pressure here). Recently I mixed McClelland's Red Virginia Cake and Lanes

Burley without Bite in equal parts, with about half that amount of Altadis Black Cavendish, and

a generous pinch of CD Izmir Turkish in a ceramic bowl and left it to dry overnight. The result

is an elegantly mild but richly flavorful "blend." I made enough for three or four bowls full, and

when I was done, I made up another slightly larger quantity. It seems to keep alright for several

days. What surprises me is how much less bite this has than even some of my favorite blends,

and how complex and flavorful it is. And the best part is, you don't have to follow my recipe

exactly; you can use what your have on hand that is somewhat similar, and adjust the proportions

to suit yourself. A little Perique or Lat might be substituted for the Turkish, etc. etc. The key

seems to be bulk tobacco. If you used anything that has much dressing or aromatics, I think

they might not sit down so well together. Try it. Oooh-la-la.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I finally converted my third car garage into my smoking cave (I'll post pics later). This morning I fired up a bowl of Dan Tobacco Blue Note that I graciously got from mrjerke (thank you kind sir). Loaded it in my restored Olive Wood Fero.

I sat down on my leather chair and had a cup of coffee with my smoke. The family came into the cave to visit. It was just a relaxing feeling. All is well...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
My most memorable experience--and the point where I was really bitten by the pipe bug--was a little over about two months ago when I was visiting a friend in Nevada, two hours out from Las Vegas. I was bordered at my friend's guest house, where I was able to enjoy some privacy. I'm a night owl, and sat on the porch of the guesthouse with some Captain Black Gold (I was new at pipe smoking and didn't know anything about truly quality tobaccos) with a Brebbia Dublin and meditated on the vast starscape, unhindered by light pollution in the middle of the desert. I smoked for hours watching the amazing vista of stars while smoking the Brebbia. A wonderful, transcendental experience. Now back in suburbia a couple of miles out from Detroit where light pollution makes the stars invisible, I often reflect on those evenings back in Nevada. Unforgettable.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
There have been so many but the first one that comes to mind occurred in May. I was at Syracuse University for my daughter’s graduation (bio-chem major – my 401K heh). I had filled my little “Kaddy” with SJF to fit in my pocket for the ceremony. Once I cleared the Nazi no smoking area and hit the parking lot I sat on the hood of the car, looking back at the University and puffed away (nasty looks of course), my mind just whirling with the thoughts of the journey with my daughter from the beginning as a baby. Yes of course there was dust blowing in my eyes, and for a few moments felt a bit selfish on what a great job I did…
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.