PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
So I have decided to make a few tampers for myself. I want to model it after a Dunhill Tamper that I have longed for but could never justify the expense.

What i like most about this tamper is the ability to close it and stick it ni your pocket with out the worry of ash or dirt getting on your clothing. The possibility of making it a tad longer and including a key ring on it so you can attach to keys and always have a tamper with you.
0000002592_tamperdunhill20182.gif

DA20529%20Classic%20Black%20Pipe%20Gadget_1.jpg

Instead of the black plastic I was going to use Some Exotic woods from Lee Valley. For the all Metal one I am Planning on Stainless with Brass Fittings.
The other feature I was looking at adding was one slightly longer that included a Pen type clip that would allow you to clip it in your shirt pocket like a pen....
Does anyone have one of these Dunhill tampers and be willing to take a few measurements for me.

If you were to make your dream tamper what would it be? I know Golf tee....... I use them now too.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I have a coin collection and I'm the fourth generation of my family to own it. It started as a collection of 'weights' to add to the pendulum of the grandmother clock to help it keep accurate time but over time as coins went out of circulation they'd be added to the box, it's an old pipe tobacco box as it happens. A couple of those made into tamps would be my dream tamps, infact I'd have a series using coins put there by my father, grandfather and great grandfather. Those Dunhill tamps are pretty sexy though

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like the metal work on those tampers. I only have a wood lathe so that's my specialty when making tampers. If I had a metal lathe I would for sure make one using that pattern. I wouldn't be too concerned with exact dimensional specs I'd just jump in shoot for whatever looks good to my eye.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I think it would be very functional if the tamper cap/cover fit on the back of the tamper like a pen cap. That way you don't have extra parts to worry about when using the tamper.
also, Rattray's "Fat Caber" tampers are of a similar design. Pricey but less than a Dunhill tamp.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I am opposite. I have access to metal lathe and milling machines but no wood lathe. I will have to try and turn any wood on the metal lathe

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Matryoshka nesting tampers
See they would not work for me. When I lost one I would lose them all.
I seriously considered doing up my final design in Cad software so I could send to the CNC Lathe. Then I could poop out as many as I needed to each week replace all the lost ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.