PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

meerqueer

Lurker
Jun 21, 2014
Singapore
new to the pipe here, have maybe a silly question. i've read quite extensively on having several pipes dedicated to blends (ghosting etc). i'm wondering if one also matches certain shapes or chamber size to how the tobacco is cut (ribbon, flakes etc)? like does having a bigger pipe work well for coins and small ones for ribbon?
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
There's no definitive "Shape XXX is for XXX tobacco/cut/shape".

That said - most of us have pipes that handle certain tobaccos, cuts, or even flavours better than others. The only way to work it out is to experiment, all good fun.
I have a bulldog and a billiard that love big beefy flakes, but are pretty rubbish with loose tobaccos. And a Pete 303 that is the complete opposite. A shame, when I almost exclusively smoke flakes these days...

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
The Savinelli "111" shape is a classic large billiard (I'm a big guy and I like large pipes) that is easy to pack and smokes great. It doesn't lend itself much to the "fold & stuff" method for flakes but it smokes flakes well when you rub them out. I have yet to find a tobacco that does not smoke well in the shape.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
You will find that some tobaccos will do better in certain pipes. As a general rule though pipes are not designed for particular tobacco. What works for you will work itself out over the years.

meerqueer

Lurker
Jun 21, 2014
Singapore
thank you everyone, very helpful info and insightful views, i'm definitely looking forward to finding out what work for me in the days ahead :)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Shapes do matter. For example, I've got a Connoisseur stack that works great with cube cuts, but doesn't do so well with blends that tend to fit too snug.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I'v been smoking Flakes and Ribbon cut also english blend and VA/VAPER

in a narrow chamber pipe like acorn shape and pot shape pipe.

A Flake doesn't matter of size, small or tall but prefer narrow chamber and VA/VAPER does too.

A Ribbon cut prefer wide chamber like a pot and English blend does too.

Billiard shape goes to every type of tobacco easily. it is only for me but may be Info for you.

Welcome and Happy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.