shaped out my third pre-drilled briar today (pic heavy of course)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
had the day off today so i sat out on the patio with my dremel and two sanding wheels and attacked the pre-drilled block i got at the Columbus show from Tim West. Used the dremel for the basic shaping; two different sized sanding wheels 180 grit. after that was finished i switched over to 220 and finished shaping by hand. after going through 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 grits this is where it is.

it is going to be partially rusticated tomorrow afternoon before i head to the shop. i am the happiest with this pipe of the three i have shaped so far. very excited to get the rustification finished and all the staining and pilishing work. more pics when finished, but what do ya'll think of the shape?

284l.jpg

286ga.jpg

287sr.jpg

288ta.jpg

289rd.jpg

285td.jpg

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
The grain is attractive enough I think it would look nice just stained and waxed. I really like the shape. It is very Danish looking.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, I'm impressed! Nice pipe -- pretty soon you'll have to drop your amateur status, so start thinking of

some kind of logo to identify your work. :lol:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Looks great man, that is some beautiful grain on that piece of briar.

You might want to sign up over at pipemakersforum to get some more insight/critique.

Cant wait to see the finished pipe !

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks guys.

arthur - i agree it would make a nice sandblast, but i currently have no access to a sandblaster, and my experience with them is almost zero. my step-father said he has a portable hand-held sandblaster (???) that i can have but i have yet to go over there and follow up.

lonestar - i am a member on that forum. think the only post i ever made was in their introduce yourself thread. i go there to read observe and learn.

glad you guys dig the pipe. i have the partial rust finished, and will start the staining and finishing in the middle of the night tonight. finished pics in a few days.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Nice work Jason! I'm with MLaug on this one, just some wax to shine it up. It looks great already, just needs a shine and a few smokes to start it turning warm colored.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
haunted i have this slight obsession with texture. i have always been a very tactile and touch oriented person. i am sure some of this has to do with my peculiar hard wiring, but i just have an actual hard time enjoying smoking from a smooth pipe. so this one being one i am making for me to keep and smoke i had to do it.

plus the right side of the bowl has a baldness that i found too boring. it also had a small pit right there. it is hard to see in the pics but it is camouflaged now.

if i ever decided to make pipe with the intent of selling them i would probably keep some smooth... maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.