PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve noticed that with the newer tins (at least with Erinmore) they are starting to pack the round tins with the square inlets so in turn you get much more prestine cut flakes that don’t stick together. Here is a picture so that you can better see what I’m talking about.
wghNvSq.jpg

I have twenty tins of Erinmore that I purchased in the summer and those are all packed differently than the newer lot of Erinmore tins I bought just recently. I hope they have caught on and this is the shape of things to come. Have any of y’all noticed this as well?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I’ve had a beef with how they’ve been packing flakes that used to be in the square tins in the new round tins as it’s been sloppy and all the flakes end up sticking together so you can’t apply the fold n stuff method because it’s near impossible to pick the flakes apart in the round tins. Now that they are using the square tin inlays it allows the consumer to have a more uniform flake. I’m just hoping this isn’t a one off.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For all those Erinmore Flake heads out there... I’ve also been noticing some pretty drastic batch inconsistencies with this one. The top flavoring is always right but some tins will have extremely dark flakes and other times they’ll be very light blond. This doesn’t have anything to do with age either as I’ve noticed that some of the newer tins have the darker flakes and the older tins have the lighter flakes. It’s as if they just aren’t leaving the flakes in the steam press long enough. I much prefer the darker flakes and wish they were a little more consistent with it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Now that they are using the square tin inlays it allows the consumer to have a more uniform flake. I’m just hoping this isn’t a one off."
Hawky, I would wager that they are simply using up the old stock of inserts though I hope that is not the case.
Regards,
Jay.

I've noticed some inconsistencies as well, especially with strength and flavor. Visually, I haven't been paying attention to how the flakes were packed, as I usually just crumble them all together, ha ha. But, I do notice that flavor seems to vary and strength. I would put it in the mild category now, whereas it used to have a healthy nic kick.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hawky, I would wager that they are simply using up the old stock of inserts though I hope that is not the case.

You could be right, I just find it odd that they would be using those inlays in the later batches whereas the early production of round tins with flakes were packed exactly like they pack the ribbon cut mixtures.
I've noticed some inconsistencies as well, especially with strength and flavor. Visually, I haven't been paying attention to how the flakes were packed, as I usually just crumble them all together, ha ha. But, I do notice that flavor seems to vary and strength. I would put it in the mild category now, whereas it used to have a healthy nic kick.

Let’s hope they are not slowly changing this one on us even more than they already have. Part of the charm of Irish tobacco is it’s strength. Ive been opening a new tin of Erinmore every two weeks now for the past year, overall it’s usually a dark flake but every now and then It will be golden blond. Like they accidentally put Dunhill Flake in the Erinmore tin with the Erinmore topping.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe that the dark flakes you are getting is actually aged tobacco. They could have 5 year old tobacco hanging around in their warehouses and just send it out randomly. I have watched Virginia Flakes age for many different lengths of time and the darker it is, the older it is. I am currently smoking a bowl of 2013 Capstan Flake and it is pretty dark.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I believe that the dark flakes you are getting is actually aged tobacco."
I agree with Harris here, I've had dark flakes of tinned FVF and SJF that had clearly been sat on the shop shelves quite some while and others that clearly hadn't (determined by the date on the tin).
Last year I opened a tin of Limited Edition Aged FVF (2014 + 2 years ageing afore being tinned) that was very dark indeed compared to fresh stuff. It was an incredible smoke by the way.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I believe that the dark flakes you are getting is actually aged tobacco. They could have 5 year old tobacco hanging around in their warehouses and just send it out randomly. I have watched Virginia Flakes age for many different lengths of time and the darker it is, the older it is. I am currently smoking a bowl of 2013 Capstan Flake and it is pretty dark.

This could very well be true now that you mention it although I've not seen tobacco age that dramatically in such a short period of time within my cellar (I just opened some Orlik Golden Sliced from 2012 that was as light in color as a fresh tin) I have seen others post such amazing transformations on the forums. Maybe it all depends on environment, climate and such.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the cut is a bit different as well, the flakes are a bit shorter and stubbier than they were when they first employed the round tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, Orlik Golden might take more time than others. The last aged tin of that I smoked was pretty much black. It was a tin from 1997 that I smoked in 2012 and it was awesome.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I'm more concerned with the new Dunhill double height tins here in the UK (not sure if it's the same in the US).
I bought them to stick in the cellar, but that's a lot of air in the tin..........I can't decide whether to open them and jar them up......but then there's a bigger temptation to "sample" :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.