PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I just found myself wondering about the origins of shape names and how they came to be. Some are obvious and really need little explanation. Tomatoes tend to look like tomatoes. A brandy looks like a brandy glass and volcanos, well, they look like volcanos. Others are less obvious though. Billiard, Dublin, Canadian, Lovat, Poker, Bulldog etc.
Do any of you have insights into the origins of these names and/or direct me to some information on the subject.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
Jazz, this is a question for the ages, the sages, the Barlings, Sasienis, Petersons, etc., the English, French and Italians and gosh knows who else. It was brought up periodically in The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris, with various explanations that I can't remember, and in the Hard CORPS News (a very irregular, and now only slightly remembered by two gentlemen newsletter published by the Conclave Of Richmond Pipe Smokers back before many of you were born). That issue asked the question - which generated much hot air, fleeting gas, inaccurate and speculative to down right lied-about answers. I would therefore be interested in what you find! Ref. P.T. Barnum tho'.

On here, someone had mentioned that Dublins were named as a slur against the Irish, who were seen as... lesser in the eyes of the English long ago (hopefully long ago). And, the Dublin being a bent funnel shape was seen as a lanky, lazy made pipe more prone for smoking while resting in the hay. I will add that I collect Dublins, because I love the shape, personally.
Oom Pauls were names for the man who made the shape popular.
Billiards are named for the billard, which was another name for a clubbed weapon.
Bulldogs, well, I am sketchy on this one. I know that originally, the French shape was one of the firsy stummels to be automated on slotted machines, that made the pipes. They came with a brass cover over the top cone that made it look more like a billiard. But, guys would rip them off and smoke them without the top. Bullmooses, rhodesians, and saucers are bulldogs with different aspects, like rounded shanks or wider cones. But, all in the bulldog family.

Although, I am still not sure where the name came from, unless it associated with the French or English dog of same name.
Eggs look like eggs.
Blowfish look like blowfish.
Yeh, that’s all thay comes to mind at the moment.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
On here, someone had mentioned that Dublins were named as a slur against the Irish, who were seen as... lesser in the eyes of the English long ago (hopefully long ago). And, the Dublin being a bent funnel shape was seen as a lanky, lazy made pipe more prone for smoking while resting in the hay. I will add that I collect Dublins, because I love the shape, personally.
That's a new one on me and sounds a little unlikely but you never know I suppose. I'm Welsh and we, as in all the nations of the British Isles, have not always been good to one another. It's been a long and turbulent road for all but it's an interesting theory. I too love the shape and always thought they can look rather snappy. My current 2nd favourite pipe is a Ser Jacopo Dublin.
Billiards are named for the billard, which was another name for a clubbed weapon.
That seems as though it could make sense.
I get the feeling from the replies that I'm never going to get certainties on this subject, at least, not for every shape and I had a feeling that would be the case. However, conjecture can be just as fun. I'd like to hear more.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Jazz, I just look at a pipe that's not "on the chart," and after studying it for a minute, I give it the name of something it reminds me of.

Well, I am paraphrasing from a few other threads where we have discussed this. And, as I’ve said, I’m relying on memory (an old dilapidated one) from too many years of participating in threads of all sorts.

Conjecture is really all we have, unless someone will research 100+ year old literature on pipemaking. But, I do know, whatever the circumstances that the Dublin was name was associated with the Irish, which is obvious. Whether all of Great Britain for over 100 years was all equality and acceptance, well... I’ll leave that to you guys.
Someone did post, if memory serves a bit of etymology on the word, billiard, associating that with a crudgal. Thus, the root of the game with the same namesake of striking balls with a stick.
I do remember that a Canadian was from associating the country known for lumberjacks, with the huge piece of wood that shape was made from, because it’s like a log.
Lovats, Liverpool’s, etc... interests me. I’m not sure if anyone has pinned down origins for those names or not.
Skates, have a protrusion at the heel like an ice skate.

Pickax, well, they look like them.
The forms of a Dublins are interesting to me as well. Yachts, Zulu, Scoops, horns, Woodstock’s, etc... I’m not sure. Well, except the horn. It looks like one.
The author, to me seems like they must have been made popular by writers, probably from being great for setting down to write, and then picking up for reflection.
Toppers, stacks, and stovepipes, well... a topper was slang for the stovetop hats worn back in the day.
A cutty was modeled after the clay pipes, probably made for seamen aboard ships, some of them cuttys, just guessing on the ship name.
Pokers, well, they look like someone “poked” a stem in a barrel.
Someone recently posted some research on cherrywoods, being modeled after the old Frech working man’s pipe that Ropp made famous, carved from cherrywood.
I’ll bet that some famous prince made the shape of the same name famous.
Chruchwardens, well... I’ve read several different explanations as to why churchwardens made that name their own.
I am drawing blanks on more name, but maybe that is enough to help start the debate.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've read somewhere that the Prince is a shape that Dunhill, I think, might have been another British pipemaker, designed as a tribute and as a gift to the crown prince known as Bertie, son of Queen Victoria. He was king 1901-10 under the name Edward VII.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have heard that the Lovat was named due to it's being the favored shape of one of the Lords Lovat (of Scotland, IIRC).

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Interesting stuff, Cosmic. It seems your thoughts on some are similar to mine. The "skater" is another I have always wondered about. Although, I never ponder them for long because they are often among the ugliest pipes I've ever seen. I suppose when you put it like that they do look a little similar to a skate. I don't think I would have ever concluded that unless you pointed it out to me though.
Yachts and Zulu's I have never known why but they have always felt appropriately named for whatever reason.
As for Churchwardens, I have heard all sorts of stories about them. Not sure I've ever been convinced by any of them.
I've read somewhere that the Prince is a shape that Dunhill, I think, might have been another British pipemaker, designed as a tribute and as a gift to the crown prince known as Bertie, son of Queen Victoria. He was king 1901-10 under the name Edward VII.
I could easily believe that or something else like it.
I have heard that the Lovat was named due to it's being the favored shape of one of the Lords Lovat (of Scotland, IIRC).
Interesting, I'd love to get to the bottom of the Lovat. It really is one of my favourites, if not actually my favourite.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I tried the google thing on the prince: If the Apple's bowl is flattened a bit, the shank shortened and thinned, the stem lengthened, and often slightly bent, the Prince, or Prince of Wales shape results. Alleged to have been originally designed in the 1920s by Loewe's in London for Edward Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, the Prince is sophisticated and graceful, reflecting both Edward's impeccable sense of style and the elegance of the period.

So I got the brand and the prince wrong, and nothing right.

Status
Not open for further replies.