PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
G'day all,
I've been looking for this info for some time but have been unable to find suitable images on the internet for a comparison. Today I received an early System 3 which gives me 3 similar size pipes from the 3 main eras and thought I'd post an image of the three ferrules side-by-side. I've forgotten how often I have made discreet inquiries to a 'Rare and vintage' (AKA, 'it's old, knackered and I can't be bothered to find out what it is') item on ebay, only to find the seller's response appended to the description and my 'bargain' has doubled in price almost instantly.
It's not anywhere close to definitive and I'm certainly no expert, but it will help me identify early pipes from dodgy photos. Left to right: late patent System 3 (no shape number but 317 size), pre-republic 314, post-republic 314.
Cheers,
Geoff
petersons-ferrule-shapes-600x213.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, that's pretty subtle, but if you deal in a lot of Peterson estate pipes, it's good to know.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Mark Irwin is your guy for this sort of thing.
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/talking-peterson-pipes-with-mark-irwin/

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
It is pretty subtle and probably of absolutely no use to anyone unless you do buy a lot of ebay estates. I can't remember where I read it first - it may have been an article from Mark Irwin, but thinking about it, I think it was probably Mike Leverette. Anyway, he described the early ferrules as more 'acorn-shaped' with a larger radius on the bend. I found it difficult to picture in these terms and so starting looking for more info and came up with nothing so, for research purposes only, I bought Peterson's from the different eras to compare. But this is only in general terms - there are variances. I still haven't cracked the army mounts - they seem to have different conventions completely.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
George, as a Peterson fan, thanks for that link. It was a great piece involving Mark Irwin, who at this point would certainly have to be considered 1 of the preeminent Peterson experts around.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
This is another clue to the puzzle of dating a Peterson System pipe. The ferrule styles, the "P" letter style, the COM stamp style; all have helped me to narrow down the date of manufacturing. Great work Osiris!

Status
Not open for further replies.