PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Castello's Shape 55 is one of those shapes that you either love or hate. Wherever you stand on that issue, it is clearly an iconic shape in the pipe world. I personally love the pronounced chin on the pipe - it makes for a wonderful hand feel. And every one I have is a monster flake smoker.
For some time I have been on the hunt for a Shape 55 Fiammata, and Mike at briar blues graciously helped me to source this unsmoked one from Italy (the pipe was made in 2001). This pipe is a 3K and also has a marking that says L08. We believe that the LO may stand for the now defunct Lorenzi store in Milan, but we aren't sure what the 8 stands for.
Many thanks to Mike.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Peck, another beauty for your amazing collection. Congrats on the score, that pipe is nothing short of stunning, brother! Enjoy.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Now I get shape 55!
For so long that shape has reminded me of Grimace, the pendulous and pear shaped purple character. Shape 55 is just a little bulbous. Until you see it with this grain, and in this stain, and the ugly duckling does its swan impersonation... Right up to the graceful long neck from stummel to button.
It's purdy Peck. Nice one!
-- Pat

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I love 55 shape. When I think Castello, I think sea rock and the 55. A Castello 55 fiamatta, needles to say that's a great score.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bright finish and grain, not to mention the wood band, put the shape across. I can see, in a darker

finish, the shape might look a little blocky and dull, even with its nifty chin. But Costello usually finds

a beautiful way to present a shape.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This pipe gives Jay Leno a chin to match his chin. I can see him cruising in one of his

great collector cars puffing away on his Costello.

Dec 24, 2012
Well, it turns out that the L08 is in fact LOB and it stands for "Legendary Old Briar". Just thought I would post this for the benefit of any Castello nomenclature geeks out there.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Classic, understated, elegant... in short, a very sexy pipe you have there. It's also nice when you track down that hard to find object of desire, congratulations.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Without a doubt that is the finest shape 55 I have ever seen. Although I am not a fan of that shape I do own one and it's a smoking machine. The briar extension really makes that pipe special. Congrats on another fine addition to your collection of fine briars. :clap:

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Mike. As per Al's question above about this being a 3K, I assume the only grade above that would be a 4K? I am not up on my Castello grading. I do know that on smooth pipes the K is a grade assigned to the quality of the grain, whereas in Sea Rocks and Old Antiquaries the K goes to size only.

Status
Not open for further replies.