PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I purchased some old pipes from a guy who was giving up the pipe for...shiver...vapor. He had not been kind to the pipes. They were filthy. My was cleaning out an old Willard. Got it Loki g decent but couldn't get a pipe cleaner through the shank. After some work I dug an old broken stinger out of the gunk in the shank. Not sure how he used the pipe! Just a note for anyone cleaning up an old estate pipe if you find a blockage...and also a vote against stingers.
image.jpg1_zpsxv0r7ec6.jpg
[/URL][/img]

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have stingers in my older Kaywoodies (4 hole) and don't mind them at all. The design was created to make the pipe easy to keep clean, so it works both ways.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I've had a few with stinger (well quite a few). Tried using a few of them and found the pipe clogging a lot. Not for me. I just toss them when I get a pipe with one, or put it in a box with the various filters I've accumulated that I also don't care for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm stuck with the stinger on my Kaywoodie Drinkless (it screws the shank and stem together) but if I can slide stingers out and save them as oddities, I do. I off-loaded an L.L. Bean straight pot shape pipe because its stinger wouldn't slide out and seemed to bland out the flavors of everything. I think stingers were a big marketing boom in the earlier 20th Century when pipe smoking was really big and pipe makers wanted to brag about stingers as a competitive benefit of their pipes. Why Kaywoodie hung on with the Drinkless when they could have easily gone to push bits (which they also made and make) I do not know.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Nope, bowl is in good shape, just the way the carving looks from the photo angle. Haven't smoked it yet so we will see how it does. Never had a Willard pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.