PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I was washing the dishes after breakfast and moved on to my pipes. I didn't plan to, and didn't even think about it. I just collected them all and dropped them in the sink, running on autopilot.
The soap I used was a bar soap, unscented. From what I can tell, it's unadulterated.
I rubbed the bar soap into a green/yellow scouring pad and then went to work on the pipes. A lot of suds were made, so I got my shank brush and worked it into the shank and bowl of every pipe. Really scrubbing. I washed them all off, used a pipe cleaner to dry out the shank a little more and a paper towel for the bowl.
Once done, I lightly oiled my briars and put them on a towel in a baking pan. Turned the oven on for a couple of minutes, opened the door to let the humidity out, shut the oven off and closed the door.
They came out dry.
My pipes have never been so clean.
Reason for drying them in the oven is because I'm in a very humid environment. Otherwise, it's probably not necessary.
The selection of pipes I cleaned this way were standard briars, smooth and blasted, some with bamboo shanks and two meerschaums. That's right. Meerschaums got the exact same treatment and they look beautiful. Some of them were average priced pipes, but a couple were moderately expensive. I paused briefly, but since I was already well into it, I had no trouble picking up a $500 pipe and giving it the same treatment.
They all have natural finishes. So, who knows what happens to something with anything but an oiled finish.
Thinking back on it, I don't know why I pandered to my pipes as I used to. In a cleaning, I was always thorough with alcohol, incredible numbers of pipe cleaners, and repeated cleanings with a shank brush and alcohol to get it out as clean as it went in... which can take awhile, depending on time between cleanings. Ploughing through them with lots of suds and soapy water cut the cleaning time in half or more. And it was far more thorough than anything I've ever achieved with alcohol.
I tried the simple running water through the pipe as suggested by someone here awhile ago, and it worked ok, but I went back to alcohol. This time, with soapy water and a shank brush, I was able to really get them clean. So clean, they smell and taste like new.
When you dry them off, your pipes will look dull. So you have to oil them later if you want a nice finish. They look as new as the day I bought them and taste fantastic.
Highly recommended, but I'd be cautious about the type of soap you use. Mine was a very basic soap without additives like moisturizers, scents, colours, etc. Other soaps may work just as well, but I would be careful in case they don't.
Anyway, it's a piece of wood. Very durable wood. They don't get soggy with this treatment. I've just smoked one now, about a half hour after the wash, and it's as dry and tasty as if it had been resting for a week.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use derergent but running water hot from the tap; no soaking. Light app of mineral oil after air dry. Pipe cleaner through stem most times.
Your post should help some overcome their squeamishness! Thank you!

Jan 8, 2013
Your post should help some overcome their squeamishness! Thank you!
Nope. Not for me. Those who are comfortable cleaning their pipes this way, by all means carry on. But for me, it's the tried and true alcohol method. :)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I tried with running water once. The stain started to come off my briars and a vulcanite stem simply turned green. I don't get how you guys can bring yourself to do it.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I'd be careful if you have any special finishes. I tend to go for the natural wood look, so a light buff of oil brings them back to original store bought conditions. I was a bit embarrassed about how much grime a couple of my pipes had. To me, it was a patina or something. I'm fairly sure it was just dirt. They look brand new.
I can see why some people balk at the idea. There's so much discourse on resting the pipe, tobacco moisture, etc. that it may seem counterintuitive to blast water on it with abandon. But, I can assure anyone reading that the pipes were quick to dry and they did not suffer in the least. In fact, it was such an incredible improvement. The smoke coming through them is as fresh as a brand new briar... without the charred wood note.
Perhaps it is only useful to pipes without finishes of anything but oil. I can't say, because I don't have anything else. But, having done it myself, and tossed in some fairly expensive briar to the mix, I'm converted. It's like washing a glass or any other wooden bowl. Even the holiest of holies -meerschaum- did not change in the least. My two meers are block, if that helps.
I have a couple of wooden bowls of beautiful Brazilian hardwoods that I use to hold my fruit. I regularly wash them without any ill effect. I have no idea why I got it into my head that briar was somehow special and would melt like candy-floss or suffer some other kind of horrible fate. It's simply not true.
As for stems, mine didn't change colour because I didn't wash them with water.
Anyway, to all of the nay-sayers, if you have a pipe with an oil finish that isn't a prize in your collection, why not give it a shot? If you have a bit of oil to buff it back to perfection when you're done, a small experiment on an inexpensive pipe is hardly a risk.
You can smoke it inside of a half hour to see for yourself.
Lots of suds, a good shank brush, and you might be transformed.
Jpm- Thanks for planting the seed of water in my head. It is a revelation. The soap, even more so. I just can't get over how well my pipes cleaned up.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I might try running hot water through some Grabows I have to see how I feel about flushing them clean but I will probably never soak any pipes in water or use soap on them - particularly if they are valuable to me. The Grabows in question have stingers and I find them particularly difficult to clean properly.
Thanks for sharing your experiences all the same. It might be a great solution for some but it is not something I will personally attempt.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I tried the streaming hot water method on three of my briars after the recent post about it. I used my finger to lightly rub the inside of the bowls. Dried everything off with paper towels and pipe cleaners through the stem/shank. They came out nice and clean. I was happy with the results.
Of course, these pipes are 3 months old or less. Not sure how it might turn out on older pipes. I won't hesitate to clean them this way again.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm in the traditional cleaning/alcohol camp, but one thing I'd be interested to eventually know is whether there are any long term issues with this water or soap and water cleaning.
I don't know if anyone has been doing this for an extended period of time yet (as in not only months but years) but I have a suspicion that over a long period of time there may be adverse effects.
And I'd be particularly concerned about cleaning meers this way.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I used the running water method of cleaning on a Peterson Christmas 2015 brandy.
I got a little water on the outside of the bowl (I didn't realize how verrrry slowly you need to dribble the water in).
Now the many fills (which weren't initially visible) are a distinctly different colour than the rest of the pipe, and really stand out.
I'm not buying any more Petersons, and not using the water method on any decent pipes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not buying any more Petersons, and not using the water method on any decent pipes.
I don't believe decent pipes would have fills. I can see how the water would discolor the fill material and cause them to stand out.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't know if anyone has been doing this for an extended period of time yet (as in not only months but years) but I have a suspicion that over a long period of time there may be adverse effects.
I'm curious why you have this suspicion. Unless someone uses a harsh detergent, I don't see how water and a mild soap would damage the briar. It's wood. Before it was harvested, it was subjected to water and other naturally occurring environmental elements continuously.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's wood. Before it was harvested, it was subjected to water and other naturally occurring environmental elements continuously.
Yes, but it was living then.
Water has a deteriorating effect on dead, inert matter of all types over a long period of time. But it may be that nothing would be noticeable for many, many years on most pipes...or maybe it wouldn't take that long.
I just don't know, and I'm not sure anyone does. But my guess is that it's going to vary a lot depending on the individual pipe.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I suspect that excessive amounts of water would have a negative impact on the briar over the long haul but I suppose we will just have to follow our instincts as there is probably no proof available to support either side.
I'm willing to experiment with inexpensive drugstore pipes because I'm curious and because they are expendable to me but I don't know if it is something I would recommend in all cases even if it proves effective after that limited trial.

Sep 18, 2015
I don’t believe that plain water will have a negative effect. I don’t have a problem scrubbing out my work pipes with hot water and a bristled cleaner. I’m gonna pass on the soap thou, I feel that soap will leave a residue on the carbon/cake, can’t help but feel that it be bad for the Meercham as well. My ‘nice’ pipes I don’t let get bad enough to need anything other than a pipe cleaner when I’m done.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Water has a deteriorating effect on dead, inert matter of all types over a long period of time. But it may be that nothing would be noticeable for many, many years on most pipes...or maybe it wouldn't take that long.
Prolonged exposure to water on wood: bad. But that's constant exposure, as in years. Rot will happen on lesser woods quickly. Again, constant and for very long periods of time.
Far more moisture is introduced in smoking the pipe than a hot water flush. And that's very hot water mostly in the form of steam, for however long you smoke a bowl. Wood is more susceptible to moisture absorption at high temps than low.
If your finish came off with just some hot water, it would have come off over time on your hands. You can also avoid getting it on the outside, as you would with alcohol.
I was doing this for about 18 months before I started recommending it, and that was over a year ago. It simply works well. Alcohol was recommended by folks who wanted to sell you stuff. Nobody was about to market 4 ounces of water....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don’t believe that plain water will have a negative effect. I don’t have a problem scrubbing out my work pipes with hot water and a bristled cleaner. I’m gonna pass on the soap thou, I feel that soap will leave a residue on the carbon/cake, can’t help but feel that it be bad for the Meercham as well. My ‘nice’ pipes I don’t let get bad enough to need anything other than a pipe cleaner when I’m done.
I don't use soap. And I use detergent on the rims and stem only, with the fibre side of dishwashing sponge.
Same with meers, also doing it for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.