PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks, in amongst a box of estates I recently purchased is one very unusual pipe. It is a Shalom 'Sandy Hook' sitter of the most odd shape. I did find a small article on Pipedia regarding the brand but nothing else.
I wonder if any forum members are familiar with these pipes. This one has gorgeous grain under a nasty coat of varnish so that will be taken off over the next few days. Anyway, please see below and any comments would be most welcome. It is by the way ~ 14cm long.
Regards,
Jay.
img_0001-27-600x399.jpg

img_0002-26-600x399.jpg

img_0003-31-600x399.jpg

img_0004-23-600x399.jpg

img_0005-25-600x399.jpg

img_00032-600x399.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Never heard of the Sandy Hook line but I do have a Shalom made Alpha Citation that is identical in shape to your pipe.Mine is pretty rough and missing the stem. Bought it and an Alpha horn bowl to restore. Got the horn done but never got back to the other one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All I've seen of Israeli pipes are extremely high end artisanal pipes. Were these factory pipes? Are there moderate priced pipes from Israel? How receptive to pipe smoking in general is Israeli culture? Are there conservative religious groups that forbid it? Can one smoke in public spaces in Israel?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Last time I was there was 2001 and smoking of all types was prevalent and everywhere was smoking friendly. There's a GREAT tobacco store at The King David hotel in Jerusalem where I sat chatting smoking a Monticristo no2. Great times! Religious wise, there aren't any laws/rules governing it so far as reform/conservative goes, but I'm uncertain about the orthodoxy.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ejames, your Alpha has a horn bowl? Surely that would burn and stink to high heaven [8O]
As Dave said it was a horn shape, a Citation. I refinished it and made a stem for it and gave it to a friend. The one like yours I've haven't touched. One of these........
All I've seen of Israeli pipes are extremely high end artisanal pipes. Were these factory pipes? Are there moderate priced pipes from Israel?
All Israeli pipes were were made by the Shalom Pipe co.There is/was no other known pipe company there. They were factory made--not artisan pipes--but-- many of them were designed by Muki Liebermann, a Danish pipe maker who moved to Israel to work for Shalom. Some of the more far out shapes can bring good money. More on Shalom/ Alpha, Mastercraft and Muki Liebermann here-- there's three pages-- http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/ftopic778-0-asc-0.php

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Israeli pipes have their own distinctive look, the same way Petersons and some French pipes have their own national style. They look more "Israeli" than Danish, to my eye. If you own one, I'd hang onto it. A somewhat special item. I like the national variety on my racks. I don't go for that in particular, but savor the fact it's so.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ejames, many thanks for posting that link, very interesting reading. I am now tempted to leave the pipe as it is and keep it, however the varnish finish (which is hiding some lovely grain) is slightly sun bleached on one side, not overly obvious in my pictures which bothers me. That leaves me torn between sanding it up or leaving it alone.
Best I stick it back in the box and forget about it for a while.
Regards,
Jay.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ejames, many thanks for posting that link, very interesting reading. I am now tempted to leave the pipe as it is and keep it, however the varnish finish (which is hiding some lovely grain) is slightly sun bleached on one side, not overly obvious in my pictures which bothers me. That leaves me torn between sanding it up or leaving it alone.
Best I stick it back in the box and forget about it for a while.
Regards,
Jay.
Jay,why not strip the varnish/lacquer with some acetone which will lighten the color some, and then give it a good buffing? If the wood itself is not sun bleached, doing that should even out the color.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ejames, I just tried a dab of acetone on a Q-tip to the foot of the pipe and it never touched the varnish! I reckon I will have to go the sanding route (600 - 3000 grit) to get to the base briar and then restain it. Not a task I look forward to with all those corners & bends on the thing. Then of course there is that chairleg stem to contend with, I do not relish that task at all :crying:
It will look gorgeous once done that's for certain but perhaps one to be done on a cold winter day when nothing else is going on.
I have reamed it and sanitized the stem so will load and fire it up later just so I can say I have smoked an Israeli pipe :D
Regards,
Jay.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
@mso & Nate: Israel isn’t a smoking friendly place any more. Smoking is forbidden in all public places, restaurants hospitals etc. there even is some problem in smoking in public open spaces like swimming pools and bus stations (yea I know …crazy or what?)

There aren’t many places u can buy pipe tobacco here and the choice of tobacco brands is very poor and very costly. Also there aren’t many pipe smokers in Israel. I smoke pipe for about 2 years and have only seen 2 person smoking pipe in that time (and I live in the third largest city here).

But on the bright side I have introduced pipe smoking to a co-worker of mine and now is a

Co-smoker of mine. :D

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Well damn.. I'm sad to hear it. It was soooo friendly when I went! That likely means the King David smoke room is no longer :(

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Dont knoe about King David (cant afford it :wink:), maybe the smoking room stil exist, but otherwise u have to go out and find an isolated place to smoke or go home to smoke.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Don't get me wrong. People still smoke on the street but they may be fined if an over zealot cup arrives.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, so Israel is mostly a No Smoking nation. Good to know. Important for travel there. I was dumfounded to know that Ireland had banned smoking ... in their PUBS. Aside from the Guiness, I thought that was what pubs were for, besides the telling of tall tales. Even Vassar College, at their alumna guest house, has a patio with nice tables and discrete ashtrays -- I'm not connected, just happened to be there for a wedding, as a guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.