PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have to say that the Chicago Pipe Show really is as big as all of the hype, the sheer number of pipes is staggering and I looked at every single one, at least 10,000 pipes but I would guestimate more. The immensity of it could leave a person with a budget for one pipe daunted but I went with a few goals which helped me not become overwhelmed. I only looked at Tomatoes and Bent Eggs as possible purchasable pipes, at least in the new pipe category. Estates are a different animal. I was able to sell a Dunhill at the swap meet which gave me a little extra money to play with and as I already posted earlier, I bought a Ryan Alden Bent Egg which was at the top of my list of desires. After that purchase I had a little money left over and after looking at all of the pipes at the show decided on an Olive Wood Blast I had seen in the Tomato shape. The pipe is made by Duca Pipes and is a great little smoker. It also takes a pipe cleaner from button to bowl. Having used the bulk of my funds on these two new pipes I began to consider estates. I purchased 2 chimney estates from Cellini for $15 each, a steal. Then found an interesting pickaxe shaped chimney. Lastly I bid on multiple pipes at the silent auction and actually won one, a very cool Chacom Canadian estate that is 10 inches long. It needs deoxidized, but looks barely smoked. Also, and not pictured, I bought 20 other pipes for our local B&M, some estates, some new old stock, all nice looking pipes.
Here are some pics of the Olive Wood Duca.

One of the Chimneys, the pickaxe, and the Chacom Canadian.

And my Alden which you can read about here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-new-ryan-alden-aka-lonestar-pipe

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I love the first pipe pictured. Beautiful texture for the hand and very appealing to my eye. Great job, brother!

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Thank-you for the write-up and the pics! As one who could not make the Chicago show, I have been prowling these forums waiting for write-ups & pictures of people's experiences. Those are some sweet pipes you picked up!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
No I didn't buy any custom tampers but I got a card for a guy who makes some really cool solid steel tampers that are shaped like a rams horn. I have a custom Ed James tamper that can't be beat and I didn't see anything as cool or practical at the show. Your comment though brings to mind something I didn't see any of and that is retorts, if I had seen one there I would have bought one as mine broke.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Damn you and all of these "Ryan Alden awesome" pipes. As of this moment I renounce Ryan Alden and his damn fine carving and extremely awesome blasts with comfortable looking bits and exquisite stems. Damn you, damn you all!!! Damn that big Texan and his Teardrop Eggs. I am not jealous, I am not green with envy. I am bitter. I am a bitter man. I don't regret not pulling the trigger on one of those late last year. Nope, not me. Not at all.
Shit, I need to email Ryan to get back on his good graces.
Enjoy those pipes Dave, I am sure they will all be great smokers.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Great choices! I ogled all of those except the Duca. I saw the Alden at the pre-show but had rules for my PADs! Otherwise I surely would have nabbed one.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It was great putting a face to a name I've known for so long ! It was fantastic meeting you, just wish we could have found more time to chat. I didn't have a chance to see the other picks, but they all look great !
I am not green with envy. I am bitter. I am a bitter man.
Hahaha, sometimes it takes awhile for the wheel to make its way all the way back to the Start. I'm not mad at you, just waiting for some cosmic wheel to align itself for another try at your pipe ! Soon come mon, soon come !

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Love that Olive Dave ! The stack and that extra long Canadian are kinda --uh, I don't know just over ! Need an extra long tamper for that stack!!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Lots of great pipes there. Enjoy!

That is the first blasted Olive wood pipe I have seen and I must say it's a real beauty! :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
This is the stuff I was jonesing to hear about while I was stuck back here at home all weekend! That blasted blowfish by Alden is really something, I can't keep my eyes off it. I read the backstory which is a pretty cool joint venture and I'll bet its smoking as good as it looks too.
That super stacked chimney is an interesting piece, is this a pipe that you will keep for your rotation? I just keep wondering how long a bowl would take to get through in that chamber. Nice pics and a great show report!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
The blast on the Olive wood Duca looks spectacular!

And I am drooling for the chimney and the pickaxe - Very attractive looking style!
Congrats on the nice find! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.