PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I can't find much on the web about shag pipes. I was hoping some one might be able to enlighten me on them. I found these two at an antique store yesterday for $9 each! They are both about five inches long and have small bowls. One is unmarked and the panel has " buryer made DDR" or some thing like that? I had to use a magnifying glass and still it was hard to make out. Both have been smoked but are in pretty good shape.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Bruyère is French for briar, I imagine that's what's stamped. DDR is an acronym for East Germany, I don't recall reading of any pipes being manufactured there before reunification but I suppose there must have been some.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I was thinking these could be from the 1940's England? Then when I got home and saw the DDR I thought, ok Germany? All I can find on line is that tobacco and briar was scarce during the war so pipes were smaller to conserve both. any one know if pipe stems were made the same way as today in that time? These are surprisingly not oxidized.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Having visited the old DDR I can confirm they did make pipes. Well I suppose the best way to describe the East German pipes would be Brylon on steroids as the briar ones were pretty grim and the bowls were small as pipe tobacco was not overly plentiful. People tended to use Russian hand rolling tobacco in their pipes and it was called Mahorka and smelled like cr*p. In those days people would approach you to try and buy your pipe tobacco off you. My feeling was to give the stuff to them as there was nothing you could buy with the Ost Marks they were offering to pay you with! I would always bring two three 1 oz Green cubes of Condor with me in my over coat pocket to give away.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Just had my first smoke from one of these pipes. The panel bowl one and it smoked well. The draft hole is off center but it didn't seem to cause much of a problem. I was smoking maple street and watching a show on Netflix. Smoking slow it lasted almost the whole 50 min show. Not a bad little pipe for $9.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting history on these little nine dollar briars. Condor, good of you to provide some 'baccy

to the East Germans. Sounds like a grim and austere life for them.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
East Germany was the 'economic wonder' of the old Soviet block. It was very dull and grey. If you were one of the 'party members' then you lived very well and had access to western consumer durables whilst the rest of the rubes had to make do with shoddy goods and poor quality food. You have to remember there was a waiting list for the famous East German car known as a 'Trabbie' which had a 2 stroke engine, the oil and petrol was mixed by rocking the car back and forth and the body was made from a type of plasticised cardboard. The trains and rolling stock of the old DRB were clapped out with carriages with wooden seats that were not dissimilar to ones seen in the movie 'The Great Escape' and the roads were sort of OK if they had not recently been trashed by a Warsaw Pact tank passing along. I remember crossing over to the west at the old Check Point Charlie and telling the East German boarder guard that I had Ost Marks with me and instead of handing them in I would be returning to the east the following Thursday. The poor fellow looked at me in disbelief and asked me 'Why?' so it was plainly apparent to even me that the agents of oppression even acknowledged that their system just didnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.