PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Now here is a great medium English with a nicely balanced aroma and flavor. This ribbon cut mixture packed well after a little drying, lights well for an SG product and produces a good volume of smoke. There are some musty, nutty, smoky notes which take turn being front and center and then there are times when they marry so well as to create something uniquely their own. This blend does seem to burn a little more quickly than others and I did have to relight quite a few times, but a good solid offering from SG.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Good stuff. One of the tobaccos in my rotation that I always seem to reach for when I'm in doubt what to choose, and this is coming from someone who used to hate Latakia!

K

klause

Seadog, that's a nice write up.
Squadron Leader is one of my favourites, and provided me with one of my most memorable and outstanding smokes a couple of years ago. I have a tin from 2006 that I'm contemplating opening.......later reading your thoughts, I may just do it this weekend.
Thanks.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Squadron Leader is a great English blend in my opinion. Well balanced, and not too strong. I enjoy it quite often, usually in my Cooper billiard. Not sure why, I just like that combination, and it's always a great smoking experience! :puffy:

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I have not had it in years. This and Penzance were staples in my rotation.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
-Thanks Klause! I say pop that tin!! :)
-Hi Warren, its always good to revisit an old friend.
I hope all you gents on our site are enjoying the weekend!

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Can you post a pick of the flakes? I have tried SG Balkan Mixture and I thought it was awful.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
How could a picture of the flakes help in defining it's taste?

Other than that the only thing I can tell is that it is a ribbon cut tobacco.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I did not like the unevenness of the flakes, so I was wondering if these were the same.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ah... well this is not a 'flake' tobacco, and as I said it is ribbon cut. Packs easily, not much, if any drying time needed, and smokes quite easily without any or very few relights if packed properly. Then again, I almost always dry my tobacco out to some degree depending on the particular moisture content of the tobacco.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
SL. I must make a note to try it sometime. I would hate the world to think I am biased against all other tobacco's. I will ask around to see if anyone I know has a sample I can try in a clay out of curiosity.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have a tin and it's nice, and respect to S.G., it's an awesome outfit with a great history........I am curious how Skiff Mixture compares, they are listed as having the same constituents.

Cheers

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Hey Kane. I like Skiff, but it isn't as sweet as S.L. in my opinion. Squadron Leader has a sweet, soft nutty flavor, where SKiff is thinner and a more pronounced Oriental taste. Rsuninv and I swapped some tobacco awhile back and he sent me a bunch of S.L. Really tasty stuff, no fuss, no frills.
Back to Skiff...I find it's like Dunhills EMP and Lane's LEO. Puffed too hard (or for me, when I'm moving) it goes flat and you lose the taste. It's better for me to smoke it like a Virginia, sitting with a cup of coffee while I sit in the yard and plan out my yard work for the day. BUT...I have a habit of puffing too fast if I'm working or moving about.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If you buy the bulk it needs jarred for a bit before you enjoy it
I am not aware of any of the SG blends being sold by the ounce anymore since they are only imported in tins and 250g bags. Never bought Squadron Leader by the box, is it moister than the tinned ?

nobody

Lurker
Feb 25, 2015
I dont like latakia, but this one is pretty good, for starting with latakia and English blends I would recommend it.

friday

Might Stick Around
Aug 23, 2012
Moan, guess I need to add 3 tins of this to my list! Y'all are making me broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.