PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I bought a 250 gr. box of SG FVF as it was a little cheaper than getting 5X50 gr. tins. It arrived in a original paper box which I quite liked. However, I am not fully convinced it tastes the same as the tin. As a matter of fact, the more I smoke it, the more I think it lacks some of the flavour for which this tobacco is so famous. I am quite disappointed. Has anyone had a similar experience ?

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I have considered purchasing the 250 gr. box of SG FVF and St. James due to the cheaper price point, but keep putting it off in favor of other blends each time I order. Not sure why...just the way its been. If the consensus seems to indicate there is a significant difference in taste between the two I might stick to the 50 gr. tins. I'm probably good for FVF for a couple years, but I'm running low on St. James with only 6 tins or so. For my favorites I like to keep the cellar stocked at around 10 tins or so. At any rate...I'll monitor this thread for what others have to say.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Try putting it in mason jars and if you have tinned FVF on hand, crack one open and spread it amongst the jars. Maybe over time they'll taste the same.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The farmer is correct. The tobacco in the250 gram box isn't aging. What you buy in the tin ages as soon as it is sealed. That's what causes any differences you notice.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Yes. Every SG flake I've purchased in bulk doesn't taste the same as the tin. Jar it up and let it age a little bit.
No, never bought the 250g format. But, as it's not a vacuum-sealed tin, I'm not really surprised by what you're saying right now.

There's a sealed bag inside the carton. Lot's of folks age the boxes without jarring them.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I always buy it in bulk. Jar it up and let it sit. What I am smoking now has aged for over a year and is great!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I always buy it in bulk and age it. It's good fresh, but even better with age.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
There is also a significant difference in moisture content between the tins and the boxes which I think contributes to the slight difference in flavor. The boxed flake doesn't have near the moisture and doesn't require as much drying time, which I actually prefer.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Bigpond:
"There's a sealed bag inside the carton. Lot's of folks age the boxes without jarring them."
So it is sealed just like the tin and it is aging. So why is it different? Also, as much as I like the idea of cellaring, I buy it to smoke it, and start doing so as soon as it arrives.
Torque: That wasn't the case with mine. It was pretty wet and it took a long time to get it smokable.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think it's just a matter of moisture. Dry the flakes out and they should be fine. The easiest way I've found is to cut the flakes to length, lay them out in a single layer on paper towels and let them dry. Use scissors to cube cut the flakes and store them in a jar. I've found that it usually takes 2-3 weeks in a jar for SG flakes to taste the same as the tins, but the tobacco will be ready to smoke immediately after using the method above.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've always found the bulk to be slightly dryer upon opening than a tin of close vintage. But all else being equal, I've never found that much difference between tinned with a year on it and bulk in a mason jar with a year on it.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I will not be buying anymore FVF in boxes. The price difference wasn't great enough to justify the trouble. It is tins for me next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.