Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
2013-03-05070444.jpg

2013-03-05070608.jpg

Decided to christen my birthyear with SG FVF. I cracked a tin that I received in August from Mr snuff so I can try it in a cob first as I haven't tried this flake yet.

I noticed that the flakes are kinda wet when I was cube cutting it. I also noticed what I hope to be chrystals. Its not powdery at all. My question is for those experienced with FVF. Do you think it might be mold? Thanks in advance.

Ps ...the tin did hiss when I popped it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't know what it is called, but I smoked some FVF that looked like that and it tasted fine.

Of course, my pee-pee fell off a while back. :lol:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Here's your best answer to this question written up in a very humorous way to enlighten your day!

http://www.qualitybriar.com/2012/03/teacher-i-know-the-answer/
Now, it always could be mold, just take a magnifying glass out and make sure it is not fuzzy in appearence, I also wet a finger and rub it, if it disolves, it clearly ain't mold. I find that flakes which are very dark like FVF or Penzance show signs of bloom VERY EARLY compared to other flakes, I got a shocker when discovering it on brand new Penzance! I was very concerned it was mold myself because it wasn't aged, but discovered that it indeed was not mold and that it must have sat around for quite some time before I recieved it because moisture completely disolved the bloom (crystals) and mold does not just disolve away on contact with water (mold loves water).

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Do not listen to these guys, that is mold... send it to me for disposal :mrgreen:
J/K looks like plume to me

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Don't listen to this joker, I'm the true moldy FVF disposal center :) Even entire pounds will not get turned away, I will even throw in a 5 cent cash reward per ounce for disposal of your bad FVF :rofl:

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I recently read somewhere that they are not sugar crystals but some of the oils of the tobacco, any hints?
D

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The link in my first reply here says that, he also goes on to say no one really knows the process that results in bloom, I think my father knows though I can ask him, he's a process engineer that knows about the chemical process of bloom in other cercumstances.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
it is part of the aging process. mold i think would have a different apperance. i agree with samcoffeeman. smoke it.
mike.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
@ mike- not playing my friend. Been at it almost a year but not much personal experience with ages tobacco. I've read posts on it but still wanna cover my tail. And I was running out of the house and didn't get a chance on pc to look it up again

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Mold with be fluffy and raised a bit on the tobacco.
What you have there is clearly bloom/plume/crystals/delicious powder of the gods.
Smoke it. It's fine.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Thanks all for the input. I'm smoking it now in a cob. A little wet but tastes nice. I'm tempted to crack open a newer tin to compare.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
That stuff is all over my jarred up Penzance flakes. I thought it was plume, glad this thread got started to confirm that!

Status
Not open for further replies.