PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Well, I was wondering if anyone was going to say something. I'm glad someone did. This current batch of FVF is *nothing* like the earlier tobacco. I think the quality decreased, the richness and flavor is gone--it's almost just another Danish style flake. I look at the flake and can't tell if what i'm seeing is bright, or a bunch of stems too. I bought quite a lot of boxes and turned right back around and got rid of them again when I discovered this abysmal drop in quality.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Give it some time in the cellar. What is being put on the shelves these days is as fresh as it gets. Jar it up and try it again in another 6 months, ya might be surprised at the difference. I haven’t bought any Gawith blends for a few years though so what do I know?

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
If anyone's looking to get rid of FVF, send me a PM and let's discuss terms.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have seen variations in both over the years. As I am aging a lot of both, I'm not worried about it. In the early 2000s, I'd say they were more consistent than they were by 2010, when I'd get batches with different shades of colors in both blends.
Btw, I've noticed inconsistencies in several Esoterica blends as well, with Stonehaven being the most variable over the years.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I just popped a tin of FVF. The flakes are longer than the tin, so they've been stuffed in there. Other tins have had much shorter flakes, neatly arranged.

One tin had very bright flakes, one had very dark flakes. I think they are consistently unconsistent.

I still love the stuff!

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
full Virginia, I smoke it from the top down to the bottom of my pipe, the flavor doesn't changed or just barely changed.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
+1 to jim and sable. The FVF definitely changes color with age so, you could, also, be getting slices with different age on them. At worst, set them back and enjoy them in the coming years.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I haven't noticed any discernible difference favour wise between different batches of Full Virginia Plug or St James Plug, well not in the last 3 years anyway.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.