PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just opened a tin of the stuff that is 2 years old and it is the first time I have ever smoked this blend. Upon opening I was greeted with a wonderful smell of raisins and figs. The flake was a beautiful medium brown with some blonder colors mixed in. I rubbed out 2 flakes and let it air dry for over and hour. I loaded up in one of my meers and started to puff away. The tobacco burned to perfection all the way down with a nice fine ash. The flavors are sweet and satisfying. I was expecting a much stronger tobacco than say SG Best Brown flake from the reviews I have read. In all honesty it is hard for me to say this wasn't almost the same stuff as BBF.BBF is one of my favorites so of course I really enjoyed this. Maybe after more bowls and in different pipes I will be able to distinguish the difference between the two blends. I do highly recommend this to anyone who likes a nice sweet Virginia flake. In regards to people who say that lakelands have some sort of floral and soapy flavors, I have not found this to be the case. All I get is great tobacco smell and taste.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
SG FVF is awesome. I have several pounds (bulk) cellared. I opened one jar with a couple years on it and it had some bloom on it. Just an incredible leaf that seems to get better with age.
:puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It sounds like you had a great experience with FVF, and well you should. I've never had BBF, but I have had Lakeland scented blends, and they are unquestionably, undeniably and unequivocally soapy and floral; it's just that I wouldn't group FVF (and apparently BBF) in with the Lakeland scented blends.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I love the stuff. It is similar to Best Brown, but I find Best brown to have more grassy, hay and citrus notes while FVF seems to have more deep dark roasted sweet and earthy notes. It is good out of the tin but outstanding with a years age on it and phenomenal with a few or more years of age on it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am currently working on my second bowl of this in a large savinelli. I am noticing this does have much more nose than the best brown and it does seem fuller. I let it dry out a good 1.5 hours and I didn't rub it out quite as much. I am really enjoying it,so much so I just pulled the trigger on 500 grams of it. Should have it by Saturday. This is definitely going in the rotation in a big way. Thanks for everyones comments.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I'd love to try some SG FVF. How often does that become available? All of the the online retailers I have visited are out of stock. Haven't seen any in the few B&M's i've been to either.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
FVF is one of my non-latakia favourites.My ( small ) cellar is mostly all SG or G&h and FVF allways has a place in it. I have not tried Best Brown but I think I will definitely give it a go.As regards the soapy scented taste of Lakeland blends,I have not noticed it much but that could be I have got used to it over the course of time.

Tom

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I just popped a tin of FVF earlier tonight that had bloom on it, and it was an amazing smoke! It's hard to go wrong with this one!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tom, I think you will enjoy Best Brown and make it a part of your regular rotation. It is a great all day smoke, very sweet and not as nic heavy as the FVF. I agree with you about the lakeland scent when it comes to anything from SG, I just don't smell it. Now with the G&H products like Ennerdale and Rum Flake I do get the scent, but I still enjoy those blends.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks Mike. I have a few tins on order. They seem very helpful and friendly at the Briar Parch. Cant wait to give it a try!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Smoking this one right now. The depth of flavor in this stuff is amazing. I'm surprised I haven't been smoking this more previously. This is from a bulk batch I picked up fresh about a month ago and I really had to let it air out to get to the right state to burn well. I let the flake rest open air for about 2 hours then rubbed it out and let it rest about another hour. Perfection!

tsogiannis

Lurker
Jun 17, 2012
I believe it is a deep flavored easy to smoke tobacco.

i dont like it's cut and it's aroma when it matures.

It is also very wet

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
Theres some serious love for FVF both in this thread! I think I may have to get some of this when I next order

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I just got my tins in the mail! It sure does smell amazing. I set some out to dry for a bowl in a few hours. So is it best to rub it out or do a fold and stuff?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have now tried three different methods for smoking this blend. Rubbed out, fold and stuff and cut into little square pieces. I am still experimenting with which size pipe works best for all three. So far I have concluded that a smaller bowl( group 4-5) works better for the fold and stuff and cut up methods while the rubbed out works well in larger bowls say group 6 and above. I would suggest experimenting yourself and see which you like best. It is kind of fun trying all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.