PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Leaving for Vegas in a few days and ready to pull the trigger on an order. BCF was very high on my list, but alas, can't find it anywhere in stock.
So could anyone here give an honest comparison between the two, as the SG CF is available?
Thanks in advance.
Jamie

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Thanks Scarface.
Now lately I've been put off blends heavy in Latakia. BCF I've found to have the slightest hint of latakia, sometimes so little I can't sense it behind everything else going on with the blend.
From what I've read on the SG CF, while maybe more Latakia than BCF, I'm assuming it's nowhere near the likes of Squadron Leader or many English / Balkan blends. Is that a correct assumption?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
SG Chocolate Flake came off as more of a Balkan blend to me. The more I smoked it the Dark Cocoa flavor revealed itself. GH&Co Bobs Chocolate Flake is more toasted chocolate with tonquin bean. Lovely stuff. Both do well with a little age and are quite different from each other.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Thanks for your input all.
I decided on SG's Chocolate Flake. I was also going to try the Two Friends but I found Best Brown in stock (which I wasn't expecting) so that bumped it off my main list.
Jamie

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Scarface unless you got a sauce recipe, the tonquin bean is the vanilla that you get from Bob's.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Newfie you'll like Chocolate flake, let it dry for at least 24 hours. The burley and Virginias are exquisite. When you pull the handle for Bob's, dry it out also.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm glad scarface brought the moist factor up. The Choclate flavor comes through more on the SG CF if a little moist. I prefer it dry, but to each his own.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Something else in the same vein is Two Friend's English Chocolate. It's been in my rotation for years.

Yes! I enjoy it much more than BCF, too. It doesn't have the Lakeland essence otherwise very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.